A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: How to create showreel video?

How to create showreel video?

Hi everyone,
    My question is very simple:
    How can I create showreel video like these ones:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIZjkmC97hc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNSmuGtY1EA

I know it is a flv played in Flash. I want to know what software do I need to create such animated flv? Is it 3ds max or maya (only guessing)?

I will appreciate if someone can post more info about the process.
    Thanks.

Anyone to share some knowledge?
    I think it will be beneficial for all of us.

Try the Riva Encoder. It's free; you can produce a movie file in Flash (or anything else) and convert it into flv format using this software.

I don't need software which converts video files from one format to another.
    I need more information about the process of development of such showreel i.e. software to animate screenshots in 3D and combine them in engaging video?
    I doubt that the movies in my first post are done in Flash. I assume part of the content is recorded with any kind of software that captures screen actions like this one:
    http://camstudio.org/

But I need something on a professional level. I tried with Adobe website but they have so many software that it is difficult to locate what I am looking for. And frankly, I don't know what I have to look for.
    Last edited by BMX-BG; 03-18-2010 at 02:31 PM.

OK. I've waited for other people to make a contribution, and nobody did, so here's how I would do it.

1. Screen capture. Adobe's product is Captivate. It's expensive, but you did say you wanted a professional solution. However, from the examples you gave, it looked very much like most of the screen capture was from hand-held digital cameras. If you have one of these, and you like that look, you could save yourself a lot of money.

2. Presentation software. Most of the '3D' effects in your examples seemed to consist of swivelling the screen photos on their axes. This software will do that for an extremely competitive price, plus allow you to add sound and simple animation.

Good luck.
    Last edited by goliard; 03-19-2010 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks for the reply. I already downloaded Captivate. I've also reviewed the Anime Studio website. But I am almost sure that screen capture is not achieved with digital camera.

My guess is that a printscreen is pasted in Photoshop, then various objects are devided into separate layers, and than imported in some other software which allows to further animate that printscreen + adding captured video from Adobe Captivate will result in such a showreel.

I will appreciate other opinions, too.