A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: AS3 10times faster execution?

AS3 10times faster execution?

I just read an description of an book, AS3 executes code 10 times faster that old versions, is that true? And There must be more reasons to use AS3, I believe.

To set things straight, if I would do something with 3DFA in AS3 I would have to use the latest version of 3DFA (3.9.8.7) and I would have to choose to export an Flashanimation in Flash 9, right?

I've tested to do something and it just got screwed up when I selected Flash 9 there but it was some simple test of old code perhaps and I don't remember more than that it did not work...
    http://www.sdax.se Chess, Trotting and Blog

Quote Originally Posted by SirN View Post
    I just read an description of an book, AS3 executes code 10 times faster that old versions, is that true? And There must be more reasons to use AS3, I believe.
    AS3 is faster, it may not 10x, but definitely faster. Especially in 3d graphics, but it is also more complicated. If the flash is just fun, it would be better if You stay with the old, but understandable AS2. If you want to make money on the flash, or just as new to flash files, you have to go to AS3. For me, AS2 is still a big potencial. You can do really cool things in the old script, just look at the old design professionals. They did wonders for AS2.

Quote Originally Posted by SirN View Post
    To set things straight, if I would do something with 3DFA in AS3 I would have to use the latest version of 3DFA (3.9.8.7) and I would have to choose to export an Flashanimation in Flash 9, right?
    Yes.

Well, my experience with v4.9.8.7 and Flash 9 export is worse than bad! I don't get even the simpliest soundeffect to play with animation on text, and it can't be a situation when he doesn't test his program at all when he develops it so this very basic malfunction is strange and not reported by me as an bug but annoyes me a lot...

lok at this that can't be exported as Flash 9:
    http://www.sdax.se/schacksidan/filmklippstart.htm

It's just 4 elements - 1 Largetext which does not show at the start of the movei and 1 html text that also does not show at the start and then an sound.mp3 that also does not play at start. Then just 1 html text that shows from the start of the movie. All I do is adding scene Events to show the large text with an animation and play the sound at the same time and then show the menu with an animation.

When I export this with Flash 8 everything is ok, but when I export it with Flash 9 then the sound never plays! I can't see how this can be my error!

How do you turn on the sound in AS2? Do not mix scripts. If you do everything without using scripts, then switch to AS3 will be painless. But if you start to write anything in AS2 and then you'll want to convert to AS3, then nothing comes out.

I don't play the sound from an script, I use scene Event Play (as you suggest) also on the text and menu...

It doesn't work!

I don't know about the setting 'Strict Property declarations' and 'Lazy property declarations', it sais that some element is not handled correctly with Lazy in AS3, maybe that has something to do with the sound that needs to be 'Strictly property declared'. It's over my head, I have no clue about property declarations. Although, in older versions of 3DFA it was neccessary to press an button at the element 'Element has properties' before making animations with the element, but that does not exist in v3987 at the sound element...
    Last edited by SirN; 03-18-2010 at 02:18 PM. Reason: Added about property declarations