A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: home theaters

home theaters

What are you all listening through these days?

I just picked up a Pioneer VSX-D508 and a pair of Cerwin-Vega E-715's from a friend for only $150. It was a KILLER deal considering these speakers are usually like $400+ a piece. I love when deals like this come around
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Desktop speaker system, bluetooth headphones or tv speakers. Nothing to get excited about. I tossed a receiver I'd been lugging around for YEARS a while back but holding off on replacing it until I finish some remodeling in my living room.

headphones or laptop speakers.
    My surround sound system crapped out after owning it for 2 years.

One cow army..OH NOES!
    TV built in mono-tone speakers.........I'm making that up..I can't afford them!
    Tonight, i Hunt, i Feast and i breed!!

For surround - Marantz 5 ch receiver (cant remember model), Kef Front and center speakers and Monitor Audio rears along with a crappy JBL sub for LFE.
    (receiver and 2 kef fronts bought as demo items)

For audio listening, an NAD C720BEE stereo receiver with some super clean Niles in-wall speakers, no sub.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

HR, You always seem to be the tv/stereo guy so I gotta ask. What do you think of Cerwin-Vegas?

All the reviews I've looked up seem very positive in their performance. I mean it's not like a review matters now as I already bought them and personally think they sound good and are capable of getting VERY loud with minimal distortion. Just curious on your thoughts.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Back when I traveled in mini-truck circles, cerwin-vegas were highly desirable woofers due to their sturdy cones, tight seals and huge magnets. That's more anecdotal than helpful since that was a long time ago.

Cerwin-Vega is a very solid loudspeaker company. Distortion (as you know it) should not be audibly noticable under any circumstances. That being said, they are certainly not the audiophile grade speaker. CV's will perform under the toughest of conditions and will be basically bombproof. As jAQUAN says, tight seals and huge magnets provide their sturdy performance.

There are little nuances though that will usually show off the difference between those and, say, a nice pair of Bowers & Wilkins. (Kef, B&W, Monitor Audio -- in case you couldn't tell, I am a fan of the UK based speakers) The speakers should sound the same whether on volume 1 or 90. Clipping should be virtually eliminated. If you listen to bass heavy music (which I believe you do) vs. subtle jazz or classical, none of this will be of any concern. Secondly, if they are being used primarily as part of a home theater they mean even less. HT is all about big booms and special effects. A decent sub and two heavy duty fronts (like you have) will do 90% of the job.

http://www.ecoustics.com/ - a pretty good resource for all things audio.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 03-18-2010 at 03:30 PM.

That reminds me. I never got to thank you HR for saving my ass when picking out an hdtv. Couldn't be happier with my Bravia.

Beautiful pics on those TVs. Glad you enjoyed it. As always, the trick with the Bravia is to get the model from 6 months ago rather than the one from yesterday which sells at a 30-40% premium. I've had my 46 inch Sharp for nearly 3 years now and feel no need to 'upgrade.'

Funny/sad. Video leads the way in audio and Music lags far far behind. No one produces music for surround sound with 24bit 96k resolution. Yet the movie industry kicks out the quality for even lousy movies.

I find surround sound music weird. A few years ago, they remastered Dark Side of the Moon in SACD/5.1 - not for me. I prefer good old stereo thru high quality speakers myself.

Dude that opera singer screaming in it freaks me out regardless of how it's mixed.
    I had the quadraphonic version of DSotM. It was trippy.
    Have a beer, Put "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" in the DVR and crank Dark Side of the Moon.
    Or go for something a little stronger and watch Live at Pompeii

Thanks for all the input.

Yes I do listen to some bass heavy stuff but that isn't all. I'm also going to be looking for a better vinyl player soon as well. So I can listen to my collection again since a friend broke mine(idiot) a while back. Can't go wrong with the original Star Wars double vinyl to really nerd it up. I actually just hit the jackpot last summer with a friend of mine who's mother runs a self storage unit and someone didn't pay for 6 months...uh oh! Now their record collection is mine

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z View Post
    Yes I do listen to some bass heavy stuff...
    Don't get me wrong...I wasn't hating on your techno-heavy repertoire. Pretty much everything in the last 40-50 years is bass heavy compared to what an audiophile would use to detect slight nuances in speaker performance.

I remember these bass test cd's about 15 years ago that tested the range of your speakers. The sample of an air plane landing shook the house.

Yeah the kid I got these off of had a couple of those bass tester cd's. It was rattling his brothers door across the house. I think I'll be happy with these

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    42" LG Scarlet limited Edition TV, SHARP 30-X DLP Projector (Soon to be upgraded to XV-Z15000 Full HD)

Onkyo TX-NR1007 9.2 AV Receiver

Currently on a 7.1 Surrond speaker setup, Jamo speakers S426HCS3 + SUB

And a Jamo ipod Docking station

Hooked up is an LG Blu-Ray, A sony PS3, Wii PAL, Wii NTSC and a Crappy DVD player for VCD's and free DVD's and an iomega HD media player

I need a universal remote control

Two channel ftw.

Garrard 401 Transcription Turntable w/ SME 3009 mkII Tonearm w/Grado Gold MI cart.
    v
    Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 phono stage
    v
    Quad 34 Pre
    v
    Quad 306 Power
    v
    B&W CDM1SE

For digital I use a Cyrus DAD 1.5 cdp and my netbook through a Musical Fidelity V-DAC.

I alternate the B&Ws with a pair of JBL L86 for when I really want to crank it for all to hear.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21