A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I want to reproduce this effects, help?

I want to reproduce this effects, help?

hey photo dudes and dudettes. Got a couple of questions for you today

check out this photo:

Question 1: do you know how to achieve those burned borders and overexposed areas with photoshop? Any tutorials? I guess it shouldn't be difficult if I start to play around, but a tutorial always makes things easier

Question 2: do you know how those effects are called? Or why are they produced. I always see that in old photos, even from good cameras, so I'd like to research a bit more about why those things happened in photos.

I want to see if I can make a little toy program for my phone that simulates an old cheap camera, and getting the right "cheap" look seems to be a bit difficult.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

I'm just off to bed so wont post too much now but look into lomography.

http://images.google.co.uk/images?rl...N&hl=en&tab=wi

Thanks, yeah, I know about it. The best "toy" look you can get, but I think that the too effects displayed above don't have to do with the camera or camera quality.

If I'm not mistaken, the left "burned" border was caused by the chemicals used during the film development process, no? but I can't find info on why that border appears in some photos.

The orange part on the right, I guess that has to do with light conditions..overexposure? I remember that there was always a photo like that (messed up) in every roll (at least back in the 80's).

I like those two effects because I believe they don't have much to do with the camera itself, and can have a more technical explanation than "the photographer was using an old camera". It might be the mind of a programmer I don't only want to reproduce what I see, I want to understand why and how it happens first.
    Sponsored by your mom.

light leaks probably

awesome, thanks! amazing how a couple of words can open a whole universe of google results

the one on the right is definitely a light leak (this flickr group is interesting: http://www.flickr.com/groups/lightleaks/pool/ )

I'm pretty sure the one on the left is not due to the camera, but because of the chemicals when developing the photo.

[edit]actually, browsing on that flickr pool, I found a similar one http://www.flickr.com/photos/4594840...ool-lightleaks, so I guess it's definitely a light leak, thanks ctranter.[/edit]
    Last edited by argonauta; 03-18-2010 at 10:38 PM.
    Sponsored by your mom.

exclusive member ( V I P ) tiGRAN=-2001's Avatar
    cool idea, I just spend a few minutes trying to add that effect on photoshop and came up with an interesting solution.

When you try to add a layer with yellow, it ends up always adding to the blue and creating a green tone no matter what blending option you use.

But what I did was to use two layers to add the effect. On the first layer you create a bright spot, using a gradient or a soft brush. Create a spot of 100% white with fade on the edges. Rasterize that layer if its a gradient.

Now create a new layer on top, choose Gradient Map from layer styles. Mess around with the colors to get something within the ranges of the light leak you want.

Now the important part, make a selection of the first layer (the bright spot), and use that selection as a mask on the gradient map layer. You basically leave the selection alive, select the mask on the Gradient Map layer, and fill in the spot black. Invert the mask so the spot is white.

Now you can mess with the gradient map colors and preview live results.

http://www.filedropper.com/picture5_25

Aye looks like a light leak and most probably just a good old fashioned lens flare in an image that's been cropped.
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21