A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: INSTA-TUTE! - Popping a New Window in a Single Step

Heya ... Ilya and GreatGooglyWoogly,

Thanks to both of you ... this ones a biggy for all.

BTW, GGW, could you repost how to center the pop-up window for Flash 4 users, I confuse on the variables part??

Thanks

I got the window to open just fine. Now this is my problem. I am opening pictures from thumbnails into the new windows but I want the last window to close when they try and open a new large pic. Or else stick with the same window but resize it for the new page coming in for the picture. How would I do this? I hope you can understand this.

Eric

Apples, I was just looking for an answer to this same question...

I've been seeing the comments on the "open new window" topic and I didn't get anywhere beacause the only way I could find to make the script work was by placing my movie inside an html page.

Can I do this from a standalone .exe file on a cdrom?

Thanxs
    Janex

Sorry everyone, I made a mistake with the replies... I was just trying to find out if the script GGW and Ilya posted concerning the open new window worked for standalone .exe file on a cdrom.

It works fine for an movie inside an html page but not for a projector because it opens another browser window with the word [object].

Tanxs again
    Janex

A great many thanks for posting this.
    Now, any idea how to make the main window close after popping up a new window without receiving an alert from Explorer?
    BTW that's POPPING. Poping is what John Paul III does when he's on tour

ok am i just slow or what? cuz that second window with "object" in it still comes up! I have no blank in window, i am testing it in html and all that stuff but that second window still comes up! Man why is my flash being and ass? oh yea, when i tried to d/l the file i get an "unexpected file format" error, i d/led it like 10 times but still dosnt work.

Hi NightRunner
    I tried to look for previous threads by you so I can see what you're referring to. Are you deleting your posts or changing your name?
    I'd like to help.
    Can you email me your .fla?
    Been up all night but I should be around for at least another hour

nah im not doing anything to my other posts, i didnt even know i could delete my post here. The FLA is 42 megs so i doubt you would want to have that. I dont know why the heck this thing isnt working for me.

ok now i got 2 problems!
    1, the second pages still comes up
    2, i have extra space on the left and top of my site.
    i put the 0 in the left and top but but there is still space there. Ok here is a sneak peak but i guess its neccessersary in order to get help. But if you actually look at the site the text were just put up there to see how it looks. anywho, go here http://www.nightrundesigns.com/main.html
    there is a button there that will make the site pop up, but you will notice a black bar along the left and top of the page, how do i get rid of it?

to answer the user above...place 0's on everything, not just the left justification.
    hope that helps.

peace, 1lOvE
    rYaN

there are 0s in everything, its only two things, the left and the top. I even put a right and a bottom in there and set that to 0 and it still didnt work. The only thing now that i see i can set to 0 is the width and hight, which i have at 550 and 400.

Hi NightRunner......you forgot the most important part of the script...the "void"

You are using Flash 4 right?

If so put this on your button:

On (Release)
    Get URL("javascript:window.open('http://www.nightrundesigns.com/main2.html','Welcome_to_NRD','width=550,height=400 ,top=0,left=0');void(0);")
    End On

Hope this helps........

-pigghost-

FK's Offical Avatar Hijaker Dr.Funk's Avatar

unclear

Originally posted by GreatGooglyWoogly
    Originally posted by designbyv
    Hi, I've put the script in to my file & it opens the window fine but the main flash page then disappears and all the page reads is [object] Do you know why this might be?
    Is the Void statement in your code? Not having the Void statement, or having it done improperly, is what usually causes the content of your original window to go away.

Keep playing with it - it does work.

This is all unclear.... you posted a FLA to download. i downloaded it and ran a test and it too creates the [object} browser window before the popup of the url that is desired. How can you clear the "Object" page and just get the URL that is desired....!

One thing, maybe two to have in mind:

- this code is very useful but does work only with navigator 5 (forget it with IE 4.5), that means: with 50% of people on the internet, it won' t work!
    -it open a window, but the size of the window will be different in Netscape than in IE .

Thanks

Trouble with pop up from flash

Hi,
    I've followed this whole thread and implemented it successfully on my site (you can see it at http://www.disciplefilms.com/New_video_section.html click on one of the categories and then on one of the icons). For me it works on my iMac 433 Mhz /OS9/Explorer 5 and Netscape 4.5

The problem I'm having is that is doesen't seem to work everywhere. I've had very uneven feedback. For example it will work on a G4 with explorer 5, but not on a powerbook with explorer 4.5 or on windows 95 with Explorer 4.

Does anyone have an idea on why it would be like that?
    Is there anyway to make it work seemlessly on any platform?

Thanks in advance

As with any Javascript trick within Flash or otherwise, the compatability will depend on the level of Java support provided by the browser or the OS on the machine. The farther back you go, the less sophistocated the browsers are for parsing Java. So, yea this window thing works for 98% of the machines out there, but it will not work for some of the older browsers. Of course, if they are still running Win95, will they even have the Flash plugin? This is a choice you make - like designing at 600x800 - some users won't be able to play.

I am sorry, but this code:
    GetURL ("javascript:window.open('http://www.flashkit.com','NameofWindow','width=800,height =600,top=0,left=0'); void(0);");
    will not work on IE 4.5 and about 40 % of people on internet are still using IE 4.5 that is not 2% !!!

Mac IE 5.5

Hy,

I have created javascript pop up windows that work fine on the PC but when I view them on mac with IE5.5 they don't appear to work. Do I have to add some more code to the script if so could you tell me what it is...thanks

http://www.clubworld.ukf.net

Thanks in advance

christina{^.^}

ohhhh great now you tell me!!!

i was looking for this the entre night and i found in the tutes (yes people the search function is hardheaded but it works

the funniest thing i just finished installing it and now i get to see it.... coincidence?? i think not you are all responsible for my lack of sleep and i really would like you yto send me a check to me!!!

great stuff GGF you are a true assest.. but you timing sux as hell!!!!

tx : ) It is working

GreatGooglyWoogly tx u !

It is working!