A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Nice little Project - has someone got the time to help me??

JJ79

Nice little Project - has someone got the time to help me??

Hi,

I work in a small company and have agreed to do a time screen for free without knowing how much time might be involved..... this will be used at an exhibition where 4 playstation stands are set up with driving games, people then set the fastest lap of our choice.

the results need to be displayed on a 42" lcd, my ideas was a flash programme that runs full screen on laptop thats outputted to TV (like image below): bascially you enter the name / time down the bottom and the top 5 will appear at the top.... ideally all the results would be stored into a database/excel spreadsheet stored loacally on the laptop (but only the top 5 are displayed)

is this easy??? does anybody have a similar script they can let me have or help me write one? I can do the graphics after the script is working!..

THanks
    John
    Last edited by jonnyP; 03-25-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    ;-)

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Put the names and lap times into an array of objects and sort the array each time you add a new item. Display the top 5 items in the array. Store the data in a shared object and you're done. Give it a go and if you need help with any particular aspect, give me a shout back here and I'll give you nudges in the right direction, and maybe some code
    When your swf2exe tool just HAS to work
    there's only one choice... SWF Studio

JJ79
    Unfortunatly the last time i used flash was several years ago.... I might need alot of help in the right direction.. my coding skills are rusty to say the least...
    ;-)

Okay...
    What version of Flash are you going to be used?
    ActionScript 2 or ActionScript 3?

JJ79
    Ive never used actionscript 3 so unless it is more difficult actionscript 2 would be best of you could help.

I have CS3 however so suspect I could adapt to both if needed
    ;-)

This should get you started...

Each time you press submit it takes the data from name and laptime text fields, adds them to an array, sorts the array and then dumps the top 5 items in the array to the standings text field.
    Attached Files Attached Files

JJ79
    Ace!! thanks Northcode thats brill, ill have a go at some coding this weekend and see if I can get the look to work well.....

do you think its easy to get it to go into some database?
    ;-)

If you just need to save the data so it's not lost and you can reload it and display it later, then check out What is a local Shared Object and you can do it completely in Flash.

If you really need to store it in a database then check out SWF Studio (my product) and have a look at our ADO support, which will let you access just about any kind of database you like from Flash.

JJ79
    Hi Northcode, or anyone looking

Ive been looking at the code and unfortunatly really struggling to get the simpliest of items to work....

there is a few things I am trying to achieve and I am sure they are soo easy but they are obviously am not as good as I thought I was!:

1. On top of the best 5 I want to reiterate the best lap time at the top In bold
    2. A data collection in flash would be great for all scores, but is it atall possible to have a small cross next to each line and be able to delete a name in the case that we enter a wrong time?..... cos if we do we have to reenter the top 5 again???

we have the fist event this weekend so any help would be greatly appriciated.... if we need to we could pay a small fee, but unfortunatly we are not making anything out of it so have little to give!...

this is where I am at the mo with low res design but as for code not much has changed!...
    http://www.mediafire.com/?iqz1thmzznq
    ;-)

Click on the place number to delete that entry and update the standings. The best time is also updated each time you do a delete or add a new lap time.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Did that help at all?