A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: as3 contact form help

Hybrid View

as3 contact form help

hello, i am using KM7 and am a complete noob. I'm in the process of creating a website and have run into a problem i need help with.

I am trying to make a contact page, and i'm not sure i'm going about it in the correct way.

I tried using a combobox that would jump to different frames in the movie which would contain the different contact forms, but i could only get it to work in flash8, and then when importing a flash9 swf file, the combobox lost all functionality.

I would like to create a contact form in which the user can select from three different options, bookings, info, and artist submissions. For the first two selections (bookings/info) i only need the following input fields: name, email, subject, message. For the third (artist submissions) i would like the user to have the ability to attach a mp3 file to the email, as well as the previous fields.

The rest of my movie is using flash 9 so i assume i would need to keep this constant, and cant figure out how to make the contact form functional.

Any suggestions or help on how i can accomplish this would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for you time..

best wishes,
    cbthen00b

ok, i got the combobox sorted, but i still have no clue how to make the contact forms functional..

The "Input forms" section on KoolExchange ( www.koolexchange.com ) has an example Bret created.

thanks, i've got the example downloaded and it is extremely helpful. Im still tryin to figure out how add an attachment to the mail any suggestions?

Another problem i'm having is with using multiple addresses for the form to send to. my project is a 5 frame movie, frame 1&2 are just the combobox. When an item on the combobox is selected it jumps to a different frame.

Frame3 - booking info/email sent to bookings@domain.com
    Frame4 - general info/email sent to info@domain.com
    Frame5 - artist submission info/email sent to submissions@domain.com

all three frames use the same instances of text boxes for the contact form, and i'm trying to figure out how to get the combobox selection to populate a textbox which can be accessed by the php file to determine which email address the mail should go to..

for example, if the selected item on the combobox is bookings, then the textbox text = bookings.

and if textbox text = bookings send email to "bookings@domain.com"

Is this even possible? I assume it would be, but i have been searching the internet for days and cant figure out how to make it work

my code is:

combobox1.addEventListener(Event.CHANGE, myChangeHandler);

function myChangeHandler(e:Event):void {
    gotoAndStop(combobox1.list.selectedItem.value)
    }

combobox1.addEventListener(Event.CHANGE, myHandler);
    function myHandler(evt:Event):void {
    txt5.text=combobox1.selectedItem.label;
    }

.................................................. ............
    combobox works but doesnt populate the textbox

Why do you need multiple frames and a textfield ?
    You should be able to use the combobox label or value directly to send to your php file.

What might help is to look at the Flash 9 docs on the URLLoader and URLVariables classes.
    http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/...URLLoader.html
    http://livedocs.adobe.com/flash/9.0/...Variables.html

Also Chris Seahorn has an AS3 based contact form example on his KM-Codex site ( http://www.km-codex.com/?page_id=1047 ) you might want to study.

you sir, are a genius! I DO NOT need a textbox. I'm still going to use the seperate frames for each selected item so that I may have a different different pictures and information for each contact form, but i have changed the value of each item in the combobox to the corresponding email address and then just gave the corresponding keyframe the same label. MUCH EASIER!! Thank you!!

Chris's page has LOTS of useful information and solves other issues I hadn't figured out yet

I'm still trying to figure out how to attach a file to an email address. Do you know of any examples I could learn from? This is all still greek to me and a bit more complicated than I had anticipated.

Anywho, thank you again for all your help. Its very much appreciated.

This is not trivial.
    To upload requires some PHP or other server sided code to accept the upload. Then when you get verification of the uploads success you then must use PHP again to send the attachment. You might want to get help getting the PHP side working first for sending, Then when you have that working you can work on uploading the file, then work on integrating it all into your flash AS3.

Learn to walk before you run I always say.
    Again 3 steps

1) learn to send Attachments via PHP
    2) learn to upload from flash to PHP
    3) Learn to integrate the above working ideas into your flash

Might I suggest you look at http://phpbuilder.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10 for help with the PHP side of things