A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: wanna make a flash game and need help!! :(

wanna make a flash game and need help!! :(

heyy every1 .. i've been used flash mx now for almost 3 years but just knw motion tween and shape tween..movie clip,buttons...inserting sounds .... useing keybord to control buttons and making full screen...

i still have no idea how 2 make real games!!

i mean here the coding .. i wanna make a game the i can move a man and make him jump and using weapons to shoot another man infront of him..
    how can i make that!!??

thanx alot , i really need ur help ppl!

Hmm, well that sorta stuff is very easy(in AS2) but i wouldn't reccomend jumping striaght into the deep end of the game making, so start off by making a little cirlce and making it move. After you've drawn your circle convert it to a movie clip. Then to make it move right you use this code:
    Actionscript Code:
    onClipEvent(enterFrame)
    {
        if(Key.isDown(Key.RIGHT)) {
            this._x = this._x + 10;
    }
        if(Key.isDown(key.DOWN)){
            this._y = this._y - 10;
    }
    }

Basically all this means is when you press key "RIGHT" you move 10 pixels on the x axis, then when you press "DOWN" you move -10 pixels on the y axis.

If you need anything else please email me at:
    mantripp95@hotmail.com
    I'll try to help you, but im not great myself :P
    -- Morgan

thnx alot morgan...
    it really helps :P
    but u knw , i really didnt understand it , i just copy and paste it :P
    ganna search for beggeners lessons it mi8 help.. i also added u , so we can help each other with it .. thnx alot

Quote Originally Posted by TeeTwo View Post
    thnx alot morgan...
    it really helps :P
    but u knw , i really didnt understand it , i just copy and paste it :P
    ganna search for beggeners lessons it mi8 help.. i also added u , so we can help each other with it .. thnx alot
    Well, i'll try and help you if you want. But there are plenty of video's on youtube which tell you the function and then explain the function. Just make sure you go on a begginer one. I got so confused yesterday with trigonometry in a tutorial i just gave up :P

If you are willing to do this in as3, then I am willing to help you, but for a very first game project, specially since you are not accustomed to programming, it might a bit too ambitious undertaking.
    I suggest you go through tonypa's tile based tutorials as they will teach you all you need to know for creating this, including level design, platforms, moving, jumping and shooting.

@bronze95 : I suggest you go through tonypa's tutorials as well. He has a set of very good tutorials on trigonometry and vectors, and it's very easy to understand too.
    If you like me, add me to your friends list .

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

Quote Originally Posted by bluemagica View Post
    If you are willing to do this in as3, then I am willing to help you, but for a very first game project, specially since you are not accustomed to programming, it might a bit too ambitious undertaking.
    I suggest you go through tonypa's tile based tutorials as they will teach you all you need to know for creating this, including level design, platforms, moving, jumping and shooting.

@bronze95 : I suggest you go through tonypa's tutorials as well. He has a set of very good tutorials on trigonometry and vectors, and it's very easy to understand too.
    Ahhh, thank you very much. I've gotta be honest i cant actually do trignometry, i'm actually currently learning it in school.

frankly speaking I myself don't know much trigonometry, and I don't like maths much either (specially calculus).....but thankfully, as a game developer you need a very limited knowledge in your arsenal to handle most cases if not all. You will need to know sin, cos, and atan....yeh, just these three are enough. And if you really need help on a very complex problem, try the math section on this board, there are quite a few genius geeks there.

But well, you won't really need much trigonometry anyway, unless you want your guy to point and shoot at the other guy.What I really want to suggest to both of you is, get rid of flash MX, it is pretty much obsolete anyway....and get yourself flashdevelop, which is absolutely free, and flexSDK4 which is again, absolutely free, and get started on making games easily, and for free

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

I have CS5 Production Premium, i just cant get my head around learning AS3.

well as3 is easy, once you forget everything you know about as2....lol
    If you are really stuck, you can join me on a chat session, and I will help you.

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

So would you recommend learning it?
    Last edited by bronze95; 06-05-2010 at 11:04 AM. Reason: typo

yep, as3 is a lot better and more powerful than as3. Also it is closer to what you will be using when you move to other game creation options like c++ or java.

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter: