A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: The Vultures

Best Friends Forever azphotoguy's Avatar

The Vultures

A very ugly bird, but used in many Western movies. A family of 15 or so live in the creek bed by my work. I stopped today and tried to grab some shots.

The City Boy Has Moved To The Country And Found Himself

Nikonist
    For sure not easy to approach these birds to get a better position but I would like to view closeups to see more details.
    All 3 seem to be a little out of focus and in 1 and 2 the busy bg is distracting from the birds.
    Any details like focal range, shutter and f-stop?
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

Best Friends Forever azphotoguy's Avatar
    I was not really thrilled with the outcome of the shots, but figured I would share them anyway, I have never really tried shooting moving birds before. Camera settings were 200mm, f5.6 at around 1/1200 or so, and hand held. I was walking with the camera up to my eye and starting clicking as the birds took off, so the focus issue is created by my lack of stability. The stream bed in a tangled mess of brush, debris and erosion and my vantage points are very limited. I chalk it up to a nice idea but poor outcome. Try #2 is in order.
    The City Boy Has Moved To The Country And Found Himself