A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This software is crap

Thumbs down This software is crap

this software is crap.

the media player playlist does not allow files in a subfolder.

as if you are going to have all your mp3s at the root level on your website.

ridiculous!!!!!

thumbs down

Super Moderator
    You put the swf in the same folder as the mp3s which can be a different folder than the html file.

The gui doesn't support media files in multiple folders.
    For the component itself it's no problem. If you use an external playlist (static or generated in realtime by a php file) you can use folders when you specify a filename.

@Bob Hartzell

sorry, that is a crap workaround. Something as basic as subfolders is common sense. Should be in the GUI.

@w.brants

then the software is totally misleading.

Having a 'wizards', 'basic', 'advanced', and 'cartooning' modes gives the impression the software is user friendly. Having to go to actionscript over something as basic as subfolders for mediaplayer files is not user friendly at all.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben303 View Post

sorry, that is a crap workaround. Something as basic as subfolders is common sense. Should be in the GUI.
    Exactly what flash authoring platform does this Ben? What are you comparing Koolmoves to? I see no GUI mediaplayer playlists with these superior options you describe in CS4, FB3 or Flashbulder 4 (brand spanking new I might add) which cost hundreds more than the "crap" you are trashing in here that is not only affordable but actually does things no other flash platform does for new users (especially as3 users) in regards to simplifying things. Please do go the extra mile and enlighten us all as to what platform you are comparing against.

For real.. The included mediaplayer is better than the components for CS4 sites sell that you'd have to pay at least as much as the cost of Koolmoves just for the component.

Ben you don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Super Moderator
    I have added Ben's request to the list of future improvements.

Buggy

ok more for me to complain about.

BUGGY AS HELL.

to show you - here is an attached .fun file - a very simple test website, with only four buttons.

http://rapidshare.com/files/373937205/bugtest.zip

the four buttons are 'about', 'reel', 'clients', 'contact'.

'about' button does what it should.

'reel' button is set for 'goto frame' - scene called 'reel' at
    frame 2, and stop, bypassing frame 1.

IT DOES NOT. IT GOES TO FRAME 1.

wft?

then theres more bugs.

'clients' button is set to go to frame 1, scene called 'client', and stop.

there is a weird momentary flash of one of the frames of 'reel' before playing the frames in the scene 'client'.

THIS SHOULD NOT HAPPEN. NOTHING IN TIMELINE IS THERE TO CREATE THIS. ANOTHER BUG?

the button 'contact' is set to go to scene 'contact', frame 1, and stop.

DOES NOT WORK THE WAY IT SHOULD EITHER.

if pressed from scene called 'scene 1', it then it goes to scene 'clients', frame 3.

and if pressed from scene 'clients', it does nothing at all.

this is all created NOT USING ANY CODE, but just using the GUI, as a beginner would.

I assume that if a button is set for 'goto' frame number xx 'and stop' - then I dont need to put a stop action in the timeline.

correct?

please test this.....are they bugs?

they seem it

Super Moderator
    I haven't looked at you file. If you are using KoolMoves 7.4.0 or older and exporting as Flash 9/10, there is a go to frame bug involving scenes. The bug was fixed in 7.4.1.

www.KoolMoves.com/kmwhatsnew.html

using 7.4.2

Bob, I tried it out and I see the exact problems Ben decribes. I am also using 7.4.2

Super Moderator
    I reduced your example to a very simple example and isolated what may be the problem. It may be the combination of flash 9 export + scenes + go to frame button action + gui preloader which is causing the frame count to be off in the swf.

I need to do more testing.

Ben, if send your email address to support at koolmoves, I will provide a fix.

-------------------

I applied the fix and all the buttons seem to work correctly.
    Last edited by Bob Hartzell; 04-10-2010 at 09:47 AM.

a fix to the software or the .fun file?

Super Moderator
    The fun file is fine. The fix is in koolmoves.exe. Email me if you want the fix.

why dont you make the fix available to others also as an update?? no doubt others will get the same problems

baffled

Super Moderator
    I will. It is in beta at the moment. I wanted to provide it to you now to see if it fixes your go-to-frame problems. If it doesn't, then I need to work on it more.

just found more bugs. I give up.

@blanius
    I know exactly what I am talking about. this software is crap.

it is not software for creatives or designers. it is software for a bunch of computer nerds. From a design perspective, there is a creative flow when designing that is vital to the creative process. this software has too many stupid bugs and workflow flaws. even unintuitive little things like the zoom resetting each time you edit a button, or when playing a portion of a movie you have to re-enter which portion each time you play, are enough to slow down the creative process. And bigger issues like it is not WYSIWYG in AS3. Vital!! These are just some issues of many.These flaws are not big problems to techheads and computer nerds like you people, but to a creative they completely destroy the creative flow. Apart from unintuitive design flaws, the bugs are very frustrating! The bugs seem to appear when I do alot of deleting of frames or scenes, and changing order of frames, changing layers of objects, renaming, copying ie really working in an unpredictable way - which MOST TRUE creatives do. Working in a state of creativity is like that. If the software gets its frame count mixed up after being pushed to the limits, then it is crap.

creative flow is vital, this software is crap. I give up.

also @ Blanius, the media player I decided to use was http://www.alsacreations.fr/dewplayer because the ones included with koolmoves are not 'kool' at all, they are very tacky, their design is not cutting edge enough.

If all these bugs and workflow things were fixed, and had slicker looking media players, it would be good software. dare I say great.

but after finding more bugs I now give up.

Swish here I come

Super Moderator
    "even unintuitive little things like the zoom resetting each time you edit a button". This has been addressed in 7.4.3 which is in beta.

"And bigger issues like it is not WYSIWYG in AS3". I don't know what this means.

If there is a bug associated with editing frames, etc. I would like a reproducible example so I can fix it.

To bad you are giving up. Getting more feedback about creative flow could be useful. Good luck elsewhere.
    "the media player I decided to use was http://www.alsacreations.fr/dewplayer" It is nice but has a visual problem in Firefox.

Hi Ben. I use the same software as you and I'm not having any problems. What version of Windows are you on? I'm on XP that may be your problem.

I think windows vista has a few problems with Koolmoves but IDK