A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: I'm very rusty and need a little guidance.

I'm very rusty and need a little guidance.

Being a full time designer I hardly am into coding, but before most of my designing jobs and college I was an average flash coder too. Basically I knew the essentials which was basics, functions, if else etc. excluding prototypes. But I lost touch after AS 3.0 came out. Now when I use Flash CS3 I normally select Actionscript 2 document.

My question would be is AS 3.0 coding stucture very different than AS2 and is the knowledge of Actionscript 3.0 in coming years important?
    Last edited by mxkidz; 04-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.

Yes and a big yes.
    AS3 is rebuilt from the ground up. About the only left over is gotoAndPlay(). Seeing as how AS3 is officially an object oriented language, knowledge of good object oriented programming and design patterns can only help you when branching out into other languages.

Will moderate for beer
    is AS 3.0 coding stucture very different than AS2?
    Not too bad if you wrote good AS2. Almost nobody did, because it was a pain in the butt to use the good features.

AS3 is a little more structured than AS2. It has proper type checking and real classes and supports most good Object Oriented design concepts. It discourages the sort of ad-hoc cowboy-coding that AS2 encouraged.

and is the knowledge of Actionscript 3.0 in coming years important?
    Yes, if you want to continue doing flash/flex development.

Thanks for the advice. I need to mention that my main purpose for flash is Media based stuff such as Websites and Promotional work.

Will moderate for beer
    If you code in a vacuum, and AS2 is sufficient for your purposes, then you can remain there. If you ever have projects where you must integrate with someone else's code, then you will have to get into AS3 sooner or later.

You should check out the language anyway. I know a lot of designer-types find a real programming language intimidating or find it annoying that loadMovie has turned from a one liner to a 3 liner, but the bottom line is that AS3 allows you to make better stuff, and write it better.

Quote Originally Posted by 5TonsOfFlax View Post
    I know a lot of designer-types find a real programming language intimidating or find it annoying that loadMovie has turned from a one liner to a 3 liner, but the bottom line is that AS3 allows you to make better stuff, and write it better.
    hahah wow that indeed does sound scary but I did find a good resource on getting started with AS3. I always believe in "learn the tools then just use your logic" as an approach to scripting in flash. BTW I was playing this game on facebook called cafe world, now is it me..... or does flash now support real time 3d? I think I've really been under a rock since after Flash 8.

Will moderate for beer
    Yes, flash now has semi-support for realtime 3d. Since Flash 10, there are 3d transforms that use a z coordinate. There's also Papervision, which is the most popular 3d engine for AS3.

as3 is way good. and as said already its very important.

i loved as2, and never liked as3 much because i didn't understand it. but beleive me, put the time into it and you'll love it. and if you want to be program in other languages as3 skills will help you do this.

there is agood book to help you learn as3, i've provided a link below:
    Click Here