A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CS5 announcment presentation

CS5 announcment presentation

So, those who have seen the CS5 announcment presentation today, what did you think of it?

Me personally i really liked some features they´ve added to Photoshop and Aftter Effects, everything else felt really meh to me.

Overall presentation wise they pulled off quite some work there what with the transitions and background animation behind presenters, though that all also made it feel not lively at all and quite staged, which of course it also is.

What felt especially weird to me was that the presentation was so short and they haven´t talked about many tools in the suite at all and even those they talked about where squeezed into very brief sections.
    It felt quite ridiculous to me that they constantly repeated they would "love to show way more of the great features but had no time for that".

How come, is their web server running out of streaming bandwidth or what?

Sorry, but yeah, when people are for the last few years more and more complaining that there aren´t enough improvements and additions to many apps to warrant an upgrade such a cheap excuse for not showing the stuff propperly at a web presentation is really almost ironic to me

I also wondered heavily about them not only talking about their deploy to iPhone feature for Flash CS5 but actually explicitly saying that it allows to deploy the created apps to the app store.
    I think Adobe is playing a huge bluff there what with the recent news regarding flash made apps probably not being allowed onto the app store and if then at the end flash made apps are really not allowed onto the app store that could even lead to a class action lawsuit against Adobe because the product does not work as advertised.

Quote Originally Posted by tomsamson View Post
    if then at the end flash made apps are really not allowed onto the app store that could even lead to a class action lawsuit against Adobe because the product does not work as advertised.
    Yes, and this is why I would not advise any developers to use this feature for commercial work until this whole thing is a little clearer.

If an app you made with CS5 is suddenly pulled from the app store or rejected outright, try explaining that to your client.

The presentation was well done, but I agree that they should have focused on showing more features instead of making it so short. Since it wasn't a live presentation anyway, I would have preferred to select the products I was interested in and hear longer presentations on those.

It looks like Adobe added some nice Photoshop features. The real paint brush and content aware fill all look promising. It's nice to see that we'll get Flash Builder 4 (Flex) with the Web Premium package, but unfortunately it's just the standard edition and doesn't come with the memory profiling tools. I think Adobe totally dropped the ball on this one. They need to integrate a proper memory profiler into Flash or offer a cheaper upgrade than to totally purchase the full version of Flash Builder. For some reason Adobe seems to think that people who use Flash don't care how their applications perform. You fork over good money for Flash and then, oh by the way if you want to properly debug your stuff, you'll need to spend another $700 for the one feature that you need. Not cool.

About the iPhone/iPad issue, I noticed that they added the disclaimer "Subject to Apple terms and conditions" on their pages.

i wonder if CS5 means we'll be seeing more people copying other peoples work changing a few btis around and selling it as there own. i havn't seen teh presentation yet but i'll get around to it, those videos are usually lengthy :P
    not really that intrested in it apart from the app making tools, and actually im quite happy with my CS3
    might be addicted to flash...

I only use Flash so lets see what there. Flash Pro upgrade is US$327 (€241) for unfortunate users outside US. Thats a lot of money. An we get:

* Code Snippets panel
    * ActionScript editor enhanced (shows more hints or something)
    * Wide content distribution enhanced (Subject to Apple's current requirements and approval.- haha)

Not much to make better games.

If they really improved the AS editor, that's very nice, but not enough to spent 327$ I agree
    Let's wait for CS6, that will be build upon the energy of the last hope.

I want to know how flash cs5 performs. How stable it is. The new motion editor is so slow its unusable. Expanding and collapsing panels is also tedious.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

yeah cs4 is just one big bundle of bugs!
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

History has shown that every time Adobe releases new version, you need to buy bigger, faster and more costly computer.