A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Update the php-page when the database changes

Update the php-page when the database changes

Hello!

I'm building a web based application with php and sql that basicly keeps track of how many rooms that are vacant in a hospital. The idea is that the application could work in realtime, i.e update the page on its own as fast as a room gets vacant.

Is this possible, or is it better to script an "auto update" of the page efter two minutes or so?

Thanks,

Hi,

if this is a display for the hospital management, updating the display at intervals should be sufficient. If this is the "booking application" as well, the act of booking could update the display

Musicman

But is it possible that the client's page updates if the dababase has been changed?

Hi,

it is easier for the client to regularly request updates, than for the application to push updates. In particular, it can be done by a regular webserver

Musicman

Programmer
    If you have a server then you could probably make a socket script to accomplish this "real time" effectiveness.

however, in my opinion , i think it would be more reliable to just run request a php script every X amount of seconds.
    ----

not many web hosts allow sockets to be run properly , so unless you have your own server or are paying for a dedicated one that allows this. your stuck with using the polling method.
    Freelance: AS2, AS3, PHP, MySQL, JavaScript

Network Guy
    It's trivial to have it appear 'real time' by having javascript on the page request the current status and re-display a portion of the page (a div, for example) using your standard AJAX methods. That's probably your best bet.