A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Embedding fonts doesn't work on non-coded textFields

Embedding fonts doesn't work on non-coded textFields

I've got a couple of TextField initialized in code (as3). They use my embedded font (aharoni), and that just works.
    But the fonts that i've written directly into the movieclips in flash cs3, just don't work.

When i play the swf on another computer that doesn't have aharoni, the coded TextFields are aharoni, but the textFields in the movieclips that i've written directly are Times new Roman, because that computer doesn't have Aharoni.
    I've set the text font to my embedded font.

What am I doing wrong?
    I program in AS3 only.

What do you mean by "written directly"? I'm guessing you added them manually and not through code.

I would think that the problem is that you need to either set the TextField as Dynamic Text and then embed the Characters there OR You have your anti-alias set to Device Font, which will use a substitute font if not found.

AskMeFlash
    Check more on embedding fonts here: http://askmeflash.com/qdetail/566/em...-fonts-in-flex

Quote Originally Posted by Steven FN View Post
    What do you mean by "written directly"? I'm guessing you added them manually and not through code.

I would think that the problem is that you need to either set the TextField as Dynamic Text and then embed the Characters there OR You have your anti-alias set to Device Font, which will use a substitute font if not found.
    Sorry for my late response, I didn't have access to my computer for a while.

I did not set my anti alias to device font so thats not the problem.
    I have set the textfield to a dynamic text, and that does embed it, so that works, but the side effect s that you can now select it with your mouse.

Is this always the case with dynamic texts, or can that be changed?
    if not, are there other ways to embed them, because that would give me the dilemma of not controlling the font and the text being selectable.

Thank you.
    I program in AS3 only.

Yes, you can disable the Selectability by clicking on the Selectable option in the Properites panel. It should look like an "A" icon. There is a way in script as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven FN View Post
    Yes, you can disable the Selectability by clicking on the Selectable option in the Properites panel. It should look like an "A" icon. There is a way in script as well.
    Thanks alot, it works perfectly now!
    I program in AS3 only.