A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Quality disruption between programs

Names RAV3, Got it memorized?

Quality disruption between programs

Hello i am making a sprite based game. i am in fact creating my own sprites. i will include the the file so you can possibly help me but; i create my sprite in gimp the photo manipulater and every time i import it in to flash it devastates the quality rendering my sprite sheet next to unrecognizable and definitely useless. i have tried so many image files for flash but none of them come out visible enough.

Png
    jpg
    Bmp
    Gif

could someone please help me. without those graphics my game is dead.

Rei Edited.gif

This is the Png form of the sprite. if you need the Xcf or Psd I will upload upon request

Thanks in Advanced

Does anyone know the solution to this problem? i really need help with this.

I would really appreciate some help on this...if its not possible to fix this could you just tell me? ive lost six days of work becuase of this.

OK. I just downloaded that gif file, imported it onto the stage in Flash 8 (don't have latest version), and exported a png file. Looked just like the original. Then I exported a 1-frame swf file. Ditto.

I'm assuming you have the basics covered? Like making sure the "allow smoothing" box is unticked on the image layer, and making sure that the image file is on a pixel boundary? Because I can't see anything wrong -- the exported images match the original...

Just imported that gif file into Xara Xtreme, then magnified a couple of the characters. They are already fuzzy, by the look of it (unless some degradation happened when they were exported):

I don't know Gimp, and I don't know what kind of game you are going to work on, but if it was me, this is what I would do.

1) Make sure any anti-aliasing is turned off when exporting sprite files.
    2) Put a 1-pixel dark grey line around each sprite.

Now, when you export, those sprites should be pin-sharp. I think the anti-aliasing in Gimp is messing with the quality. That's my guess, anyway. You don't want to mix 8-bit graphics with anti-aliasing -- you'll get moving blancmange...

Well you see my sprites are crystal clear in image viewing and editing programs but inside flash mx my sprites are tiny. upon zoom they regress. is it flash mx or my spriting incompetence.

sorry for the late post i was testing for a while.