A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: it's 2010....should we still care about IE 6????

it's 2010....should we still care about IE 6????

is IE 6 still very relevant?? anybody know of any stats that say how many users are still using this dated old crap browser?

have a website i just finished for a client but there's a background that shows up on the navigation which has png transparency....looks great in every other browser...wondering if i should just say ^%$# it.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

What are the stats for the browsers that visit that site? What about... before you took the job, was IE6 compatibility even talked about?

You have to design and develop for their audience. So far, I've not had to deal with any IE6 clients this year.

*knocks on wood*

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

There are many businesses that still use it. My father works for a big international bank. They've been using IE5.5 on Windows NT until about a year or so ago, when they upgrade to Windows XP and IE6.0. There's nothing that my father can do about it, and the bank have about 100,000 computers. They're not upgrading in a hurry.

My biggest disappointment is that Microsoft aren't releasing IE9 for Windows XP. So when websites all start really using HTML5 and most people are on IE9/Safari/Firefox/Chrome, there'll be a huge portion of the market stuck on IE8 and there's little they can do about it.

IE8 is the new IE6.

We have a large client that still use it, and it's obviously a pain.

Like gerbick said, it's something that should definitely be addressed before you start a project because it has major implications.

Quote Originally Posted by asheep_uk View Post
    There are many businesses that still use it. My father works for a big international bank. They've been using IE5.5 on Windows NT until about a year or so ago, when they upgrade to Windows XP and IE6.0.
    Exactly. This is the major clientele of my work. IE6 is about 40% of our users...another 40 on IE7 and about 20 on IE8.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

its for an abortion clinic and they are all on IE7, but i was just wondering about the lowest common denominator. i havent launched their site yet, but just ran some tests on it and see this issue only with IE6.

i notice Amazon.com and google put out press releases saying they're no longer developing for IE6 users anymore and basically it would limit the types of programming/applications they could do.

the target audience for this abortion clinic is kind of all over the place based on their clients, so it's not like one of my other clients (a telecommunications company) where they knew for sure everything had to be compatible with IE6.
    Last edited by J-Luv; 05-07-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyways. Film Portfolio

I think the fix for this is pretty basic...
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/
    jquery flavor

Sorry If I offended anyone.
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 05-10-2010 at 10:54 AM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Not funny.

I don't support IE 6. The first thing I offer a client who thinks they need it it a notification on the site that their browser is old and links to better browsers. If that's not good enough I wait until the site is finished to address any IE6 issues (see my fk css footer link). It's never part of my design, planning or development process.