A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Picture and Video hosting options

Picture and Video hosting options

I'm looking for the best media hosts for both images and video.
    I tried Kontain but it insists on some annoying auto-rotation and doesn't allow rotation after upload. Further it limits albums to 50 items. Otherwise it would have been a clear winner.

I'm considering Flickr for photos but I really don't like their navigation.
    I'm considering Vimeo for video but ideally I'd like a single site for both.

What's working for ya?

I use flickr(pro account $25 a year). I love the community there. Don't do much video but if I was looking I would probably chose Vimeo as I like their site.

Smugmug does both. I think it's sorta costly though.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I just host my own.

Your host doesn't have a community. I honesty like the flickr community. I have discovered AMAZING artist on that site.

Here are a few examples
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/brookeshaden/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rosie_hardy/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/aknacer/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/mattijn/ this guys works is just incredible even though it's not really photography.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/benoitpaille/
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/larajade/
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

You don't know about my multiple personality disorder.
    I thought everyone did.

Rosie Hardie = overrated
    Lara Jade's early work was really cool, but here latest photos are bleh! (they are good, but not impressive...her earlier work was).

mark velasquez (look for it in flickr) has some great photos (I don't link to it because it has nudity).
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

I don't really care about the community aspect since it's mainly for storing personal photos to share with my family and friends.

How is Rosie Hardy over rated? Her work has improved 10 fold since I discovered her. Her new work is impressive to me at least.

Just reminds me of how much I hate flickr's navigation and UI

Picassa

Quote Originally Posted by jAQUAN View Post
    Just reminds me of how much I hate flickr's navigation and UI
    No kidding, it's horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by WannaBe_80z View Post
    How is Rosie Hardy over rated? Her work has improved 10 fold since I discovered her. Her new work is impressive to me at least.
    much of her flickr fame happened because of her love story with some other user in flickr (at the time she was 16 and he was 18 or 19) and not because of her talend in photography or photoshop.
    Quite a bit of her photos were heavily inspired in other people's work, she was accused of plagiarism and she even apologized for doing what she did).
    Add that to the fact that usually a pretty girl taking selfportraits is a very common thing in flickr, and they usually get tons of followers because of that.

I think she's got talent, both as photographer and in photomanipulation (I think she even uses GIMP and not PS). She's got some great photos, but her work isn't as impressive as tons of other photographers' in flickr. Right now, she can post a photo of a hamburger, and people would praise her for it.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Yeah she was in a relationship with that other photographer I posted Aknacer. They both have great streams. The story of them was pretty interesting to follow but even that came to an end. I think they both grew in different directions and have come to their own. She has definitely shined through her mishaps in the beginning. I understand where you're coming from but that's exactly what flickr(and other communities) is. Someone will think of a cool concept or technique and then it will get played out FAST. The model with their hair flowing in the opposite direction as it should is a perfect example.