A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Flashkit 48 Hour Game Challenge #9 Voting

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar

Flashkit 48 Hour Game Challenge #9 Voting

Sorry everyone. The upload seems to work fine for me, yet nobody else was so lucky. Unfortunately, you'll have to host your own swf and post it here for voters to view and choose. It looks like we've got 5 entries total... hope to see them soon.

Voting will still conclude as scheduled on Sunday, May 23rd at 6:00:00 PM EST (GMT -5).

Here were the voting guidelines:

* Overall Best Game - Should be pretty obvious, but the game that gets the most of these votes will win top-honors and the game competition.
    * Best Graphics - Sometimes it doesn't matter how bad your game is as long as that turd is polished to high-luster shine.
    * Most Original Idea - As if original ideas still existed. Vote a game for this award if the concept is truly revolutionary.
    * Best Gameplay - Vote a game for this award if you honestly couldn't stop playing it. Didn't matter if it was a pacman clone. You. Just. Couldn't. Stop.
    * Favorite Game - This is not your choice for best game, but the game that had you coming back for more.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience. My roommate gave me a nasty cold...
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

I hope you het better soon. You've done a really nice job so far anyways !

Here's my entry (as shown in the other thread) :

Tachikoma Overdrive

Play the game
    Play online : http://www.lesforges.org/48/p_test.html
    Download archive : http://www.lesforges.org/48/48GDC%20...0Razorback.zip (start the html page to play. Browse folders for the lulz).

Screenshot

Credits
    Credit for the sound effects goes to http://www.freesound.org
    The Tachikoma character probably belongs to some company.
    The art uses a set of photoshop brushes called zdtech 2 aswell as the fonts called New Detroit and Visitor
    Music and code are 100% mine.

Release notes
    Spiders + machine = TACHIKOMA !
    I couldn't help but do something about this famous Ghost in the Shell character I love so much. The game ended up somewhat completely different from what I had originally in mind but I guess this is part of the fun.
    I think I could have done better if I had slept less (two decent nights is definitely too much) and didnt waste 4+ hours on some kind of dumbed down RTS in the beginning.
    The things I'm most happy with are the graphics which use many cheap tricks to look kinda cool while they're not, and the fact that I never spent more than 5 minutes looking for a bug.
    I'm sad I couldn't get my music to loop properly (whereas the score was made this way) since my mp3 always have a tiny blank in the beginning of the file. Because of that, I ended up adding a frank blank in the track so that it would sound a bit less choppy.
    Oh well, I hope you guys like it =)
    Last edited by fil_razorback; 05-16-2010 at 07:55 PM.

I am always curious about the little details, what is the text from in the background? Or is it just gibberish?

razor thats really good
    sadly i didnt have enough to time to try and make one, but oh well
    catchy music too :P
    one thing though, first time i tried it the space bar wasnt working to shoot, refreshed and the gun is firing by itself..not sure what the problem there is just though you should know.
    might be addicted to flash...

Just gave Tachikoma Overdrive a go (lunch break, heh).

Is there a reload button? I didn't know how to get back to the menu to check after I started. Game felt like it needed a manual reload option.

Pros:
    -nice look, very nice
    -I like that the gun has kick, makes the rapid fire upgrade much more interesting.

Cons:
    -Took a REALLY long time to load for some reason. Maybe my connection was just being bad though.
    -Really needs score onscreen.
    -Wish there was some variety in enemies.

Pretty nice for 48 hours though, well done!

Where are the other games at sorry ? ( Not to say yours isn't enough Fil, I mean you've got all my votes atm ).

Squize.

Thanks for giving me feedback ! It's much appreciated.

@Alluvian » The loading time is certainly due to my own server being slow, aswell as the game being about 2Mo because of the music, sounds and a few big bitmaps (texts with 32 bit color depth that scroll in the background for instance).
    Agreed about the lack ennemy diversity and need for score on screen. I feel less concerned about a reload button since I personally dont have much time to pay attention to the magazine but maybe that's just me. My neighbours suggested it too while I was still developing the game but it slipped out of my mind.

The texts in the background are 2 different reviews of my favorite book (it's French and with no translation to English as of today. But it would probably ruin it anyways).
    The last one is HaXe code from a library I coded some times ago.
    Last edited by fil_razorback; 05-19-2010 at 10:25 AM.

Uhh... if Fil is the only one who actually brings forth a game...

Where the hell did all my entrants go?
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)

very cool work razor dude. neat and clean with some great graphics. it really gets hectic after a while
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Ahh this has been and gone already! Nice work fil!
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

Fil the background text effect is really lovely, and although the gameplay itself is straightforward the presentation is great.

A good looking complete working game is all anyone can hope for and you've nailed it mate, good work.

As to the comp, unless the games are posted before the deadline then surely they can't be valid ?
    Just as a minor rant, the 48hr comps are an ideal way to get a taste of working in the industry. If you're looking to work full time in Flash developing games for design agencies then you will hardly ever be able to come up with the concept yourself and have to work to incredibly tight deadlines to produce fully working games.
    The 48hr comps are a perfect introduction to this, and to miss out is imho a missed opportunity.

Squize.

Yeah Squize. If nobody posts their game by Sunday then I guess Fil is the winner in all categories. (At this point I'm not sure if anyone should be allowed since they've had almost a week to work on their game now...)
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

-_- it feels kinda weird, but I think you shouldn't accept anymore entries as it will be kind of unfair..... ah, I wish I didn't get that stupid fever just when the competition time arrived, I made about 60% of it, and then couldn't enter at all. BTW any plans for when the next one might be?
    If you like me, add me to your friends list .

PS: looking for spriters and graphics artists for a RPG and an Arcade fighting project. If you can help out, please pm me!

My Arcade My Blog

Add me on twitter:

"BTW any plans for when the next one might be?"

After this one it may be better to let the comp die gracefully.

Squize.

Then let me be the first to congratulate Fil as the winner of fk game compe.... $@^! it.

Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    After this one it may be better to let the comp die gracefully.
    Pretty sure all grace abandoned ship long ago, mate.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF

wow
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Hey malee, just letting you know that the new soap site killed my browser and also spazed out and displayed weird.

Ps - firefox 3.6.3
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

Oh man, I totally missed the competition! I would've liked to participate.. so bad no more entries were in. But fil made a great work at his game. Pretty good looking. Just too many enemies for my taste & abilities, but rather than that, great work!!
    This is MC. His _parents sent him to stop() by the super market to buy some _root beer if he wanted to gotoAndPlay() with his friends at the park later.

This is my Blog!... The gaming Process
    Please check out my site: Giddel Creations