A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: video in HTML page won't play

video in HTML page won't play

Hi all,

I've got a video (flv) imported into a flash file. It plays fine from the flash player but when I export the HTML file the skin is showing but it keeps buffering and won't play the flv. All the files are in the same directory. I haven't got a clue what's wrong. This is the HTML code generated by Flash (CS3, AS3 player 9)
    Code:
    <script language="javascript">
    	if (AC_FL_RunContent == 0) {
    		alert("This page requires AC_RunActiveContent.js.");
    	} else {
    		AC_FL_RunContent(
    			'codebase', 'http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0',
    			'width', '240',
    			'height', '192',
    			'src', 'video',
    			'quality', 'high',
    			'pluginspage', 'http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer',
    			'align', 'middle',
    			'play', 'true',
    			'loop', 'true',
    			'scale', 'showall',
    			'wmode', 'window',
    			'devicefont', 'false',
    			'id', 'video',
    			'bgcolor', '#000000',
    			'name', 'video',
    			'menu', 'true',
    			'allowFullScreen', 'false',
    			'allowScriptAccess','sameDomain',
    			'movie', 'video',
    			'salign', ''
    			); //end AC code
    	}
    </script>
    <noscript>
    	<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="240" height="192" id="video" align="middle">
    	<param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    	<param name="allowFullScreen" value="false" />
    	<param name="movie" value="video.swf" /><param name="quality" value="high" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" />	<embed src="video.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#000000" width="240" height="192" name="video" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" allowFullScreen="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    	</object>
    </noscript>
    I really hope someone can help. Thanks a lot in advance, danielle.
    // Kind regards, Danielle.
    // specs: Flash CS5.5 | Flash Builder 4.6 | win xp pro

Hi Danielle, my name is Danielle as well (en ik ben ook Nederlands
    Anyway, instead of making a new post I figured I would add to this one, since my problem is identical.

This is what I did:
    I created an flv in After Effects (all software CS4)
    I imported the FLV into Flash via the wizard
    I chose no skin and dragged a pause / play button onto the stage.
    I customized the pause/play button.
    I exported the FLA file to make a SWF file, I double checked the path in the component inspector for the FLV playback component is correct.
    I inserted the SWF into my page in Dreamweaver.
    In live view it shows a blank square and online (safari) it shows my pause/play button set to the play disabled state. in Safari, in window-activity, it says it cannot find the FLV file.
    The FLA, FLV, SWF, HTML files and the scripts folder are at my root level of my site. everything has correctly uploaded and seems to be linked correctly.
    the site is: www.bigmountainadventures.com/home
    I appreciate any help!
    Danielle

Network problem

Hi naamgenoot and others,

I've found the solution for my problems. It didn't have anything to do with the swf or HTML script. I develop from my Network Attached Storage (NAS) hard drive which is, as the name indicates, in a network. It was due to the security of the flash player that the video didn't play. When I played from a normal hard drive and from the webserver there was no problem.

@ Danielle, if Safari say it can't find the flv file, that probably is the case... So double check the names. The frustrating thing with computers is that they're always right but often we don't understand what they're saying
    Is the problem solved now because the pause and play button works with the slideshow...? I don't see any blank windows in IE7.

Thanks Danielle,

Thanks for the reply, I am happy you found a fix for your problem.

And yes indeed it is fixed now. Someone from the adobe forum went into my root folder and said the flv was not there, although I had individually 'put' it there through dreamweaver several times and dreamweaver in indicated it was properly uploaded as well.
    I had to 'put' the entire site for the SWF to recognize the FLV was indeed right next to it. now it plays as expected.

(so the computer was right after all....

That's weird! So if you checked 'Remote site' in Dreamweaver you could see the flv but it wasn't actually there?
    I've got a separate, very simple FTP program so I can check or upload if I don't want to use Dreamweaver. Maybe that's an idea for you too, just to be on the safe side. There are plenty of freeware FTP programs around.

Glad you fixed it, good luck with your project.

Hello,
    I need help.. I'm having this same problem, but I don't think it has anything to do with either of the above solutions. I can preview the file just fine on my system, as long as it is playing off of my hard drive. I can transfer the files (.swf, .f4v, and html files) to another pc and as long as they are playing on the local hard drive they play just fine. The problem is when I load them to my web server. It just sits there and acts like it's buffering but it doesn't go past that. What is very upsetting about this is that I have done this EXACT same thing before with a different video file on the same web server and didn't have this problem. I have tried everything I can think of. Does anyone have any friendly advice other than turning to hard drugs and liquor to eleviate the pain?? Just kidding.. But seriously, I'm getting to that point...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Michael

Hi,

The only things I can think of are:
    - The files are in a folder or have a different name so the swf can't find them
    - It may have something to do with the 'Local security settings' in the publish settings. Maybe you should try the other. If you had Access local files only choose Access network only and visa versa.

HTH

Hello,
    Thank you for the suggestion. It didn't look like changing the security settings in the publish settings was the issue though. I tried to change it to Network Only, but it had the same results.

From other reading on this issue, it looks like that is exactly what is happening is the the swf can't find the f4v file. Because the FLV Playback Component will show up and like it is buffering, but the video never pops up. Originally I was thinking the issue was size of the video, but I have crunched the video down to about 2MB just to see if I could get something to play, and it still has the same issue.

I read in a couple of places that "You may have to update the source parameters in the flash file if you are uploading it to a server." Which I has also tried to do by just putting in the URL into the Source, but no luck.

Do you think it could have anything to do with security videos on the videos themselves? Like when I export them from Final Cut Pro? I don't think that's what it is but I just don't know anymore what it could be...

I am fairly new to the game though, and I do enjoy these types of challenges so I know I'll get it eventually. I'm sure it's going to turn out to be a very easy fix.

Thanks again! Let me know if you have anymore suggestions..

~Michael