A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Tight budget flash

Tight budget flash

Hey guys and gals, what has happened to Carlie anyway. . .

I need some advice on getting a flash for my Canon Rebel XSi. I am needing something that will work well with action photography. It's main purpose will be for mountain biking and some hiking shots.

I am on a super tight budget, any suggestions?
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;
    My cycling themed designs Pats Design Portfolio

How small of a budget? The cheaper of the Canon speedlites is the 430EX II and that is still $280. You can always buy a full manual Vivitar on the cheap and those would probably work just fine. Not sure if by action you mean just the biking itself or you want some sequence shots done with the flash and in that department I'm not sure how the Vivitars work...
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Yikes!! $280.00 I was thinking more under $100.
    Something like this.
    I just can't justify spending $300 on anything right now.
    ------------------

Sometimes we are the windshield. . . But, most of the time, we are just the bug. (c;

You definitely get what you pay for. If you read the specs for that flash with brand new batteries a full powered flash will take 6 seconds to recycle(2-3 for the 430EX depending on bat type). If that isn't a big deal then that is probably just as good as a used Vivitar for what you need.

This is the old school Vivitar I always read about people using. 10 second recycle on that...ouch.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ml#accessories

Remember these are just full power pops of the flash. With my 430 on something like 1/32 I can pop it as fast as I can press the button.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Yup - 430 is the way to go if you can - maybe get 2nd hand. I've also heard good things about older Nikon flashes that you can pick up 2nd hand for next to nothing - not sure if they work on-camera with a canon but would work off-camera, maybe with a cord or radio transmitters.

On another note - I was thinking the other day, why don't they (Canon, Nikon etc..) Make cameras with flashes that are positionable? Direct flash from the camera mostly sucks but bounced off a ceiling you get amazing results. Surely it wouldn't take much to add a swiveling flash head to the prosumer range of bodies?

It'll be the next "big feature" I'm sure. They could come out the the most amazing camera all at once but why would they when they can just add a few smalls things at a time and make people upgrade bodies.

Well I picked up a Sigma EF-500 DG Super EO ETTLII for €170 recently!
    Comparable to the 550EX/580EX al in all great wee flash!
    Been a while since I was here! Might just stay around this time! | Check out my Deviations - all comments welcomed!

Sorry to disappear on this. The slower refresh might not be such a bad thing for the shots I am taking. There is usually a gap between riders so there would be time. I just don't know jack about flashes.
    ------------------

You probably already went out and got something but if not this is worth looking into.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2010/06...-sync-v20.html

Not at all. I am on a really tight budget which means I have to wait and watch and then swoop in when a deal presents itself. I really want one by August :-) so I have time to crouch and wait lol
    ------------------

Thanks for the advice guys. I ended up ordering the 285HV that WannaBe suggested. Due to get in tomorrow. I am excited about learning the ins and outs of my camera now!
    ------------------

Nice! I need to start doing more OCF. I need to invest in a softbox for my speedlites and also a 580EX for the power over the 430.

Camera doesn't recognize the flash as being a valid flash :-( this is going to change the learning curve. But I am happy with my initial shots
    ------------------

oh yeah that flash you have it a FULL manual flash. The only thing your camera will do it make it go off

That's not a bad thing though - you'll learn how to use your flash properly.