A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sin, Cos, Tan Flash AS3 Help!

Sin, Cos, Tan Flash AS3 Help!

I am working on a platformer and I don't want to release the whole .fla file because I have lots of classes and such.

I have ran into a problem where I have the length of the tan and the angle needed. I want this bullet to be placed a good 50 pixels away from the player in the angle of where the mouse is located.

I have the the rotation of the gun working smoothly in my game ( you can find my game here: http://www.swfcabin.com/open/1277010772 ) but when I add a bullet to the position using rise over run it doesn't go there.

Here is the code I use for my class:

Actionscript Code:
    var distanceX:Number = mouseX - (ourPlayerBody.GetWorldCenter().x * ThePlatformer.pixelize);
                var distanceY:Number = (mouseY - (ourPlayerBody.GetWorldCenter().y - (ourPlayerBody.GetLocalCenter().y / 2)) * ThePlatformer.pixelize) * -1;

var angleInRadians:Number = Math.atan2(distanceY, distanceX);
                var angleInDegrees:Number = angleInRadians * 180 / Math.PI;

// Hypotenuse, angleInDegrees is our angle

var sineOfAngleInRadians:Number = angleInDegrees * Math.PI / 180;
                sineOfAngleInRadians = Math.sin(sineOfAngleInRadians);
                var sineOfAngleInDegrees:Number = sineOfAngleInRadians * 180 / Math.PI;
                var sineLength:Number = ThePlatformer.bulletDistance * sineOfAngleInDegrees;

var cosineOfAngleInRadians:Number = angleInDegrees * Math.PI / 180;
                cosineOfAngleInRadians = Math.cos(cosineOfAngleInRadians);
                var cosineOfAngleInDegrees:Number = cosineOfAngleInRadians * 180 / Math.PI;
                var cosineLength:Number = ThePlatformer.bulletDistance * cosineOfAngleInDegrees;

var whereToMove:Point = new Point(sineLength, cosineLength * -1);
                var whereToMoveMeters:b2Vec2 = new b2Vec2(whereToMove.x / ThePlatformer.pixelize, whereToMove.y / ThePlatformer.pixelize);
                bulletBody.SetPositionAndAngle(whereToMoveMeters, angleInDegrees * Math.PI / 180);

Local center is half the objects width and height in meters. Global center is the location of where the center of the object is in world's position.

The method I used to try and solve for the position of the bullet I did is shown in the image attachment
    Attached Images Attached Images

who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2