A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Actionscripting in action

Actionscripting in action

First off I'm running on the dinosaur Flash MX, its what my boss has so I have to work with it. Second, I am still in my infancy at learning Flash and I'm trying to do so on my own with tutorials online. The thing I am learning the hard way is how everything has its order. Nothing will work correctly in Flash without the correct process... true with any software. The kicker is figuring that out that order as I am patching 2 or 3 tutorials together to get the effect I want.

My question has to do with this animated button I created. Now, this is very basic but its serving my purpose at learning how to do rollover buttons with animations. So, really I have a problem and a question. Here is the link

The problem I am having is that if you click on the 3 tab, the 2 tab animation does not work when clicked.

The question is, can I have whatever current button you are on animate the tab up before moving on to the the next button with the tab going down?
    Last edited by YohimbeArts; 08-26-2010 at 03:07 PM.

Sorry,my English is not fluent.
    ---------------------------------------------------------
    HI!
    The answer of your question is:yes you can!
    I provide an ideal:
    1.every buttons have two state "tab up" & "tab down".frist,the state of button1,button2 and button3 are "tab up".
    2.now ,if you click button3,button3's state change to "tab down" and other buttons's state not change(or change to "tab up").
    3.then you click button2,button2's state change to"tab down" and other buttons's state change to "tab up".
    4.when button's state is "tab up",show the "tabup" animation,or button's state is "tab down",show the "tabdown" animation.
    Last edited by Areslee; 08-21-2010 at 11:43 AM.

Cool Areslee, thanks for the help on the animated tabs. So, on the "down" state would I have to run a "goto" actionscript to jump to that animation?

I am still having a problem with the the 2 tab not functioning on click when on the third tab though. Anyone have a solution for this? I've attached the files for anyone who'd like to help troubleshoot. Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

:
    On the layer 'static', delete frame 20.
    On the layer 'static' at the now empty frame 20, right click and insert a new frame.
    So the layer 'static' now has the same thing on all 20 frames.

Some people are like Slinkies, not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs.

Genius dawsonk! Thank you so much... its always the little things aren't they. Well now that I have that working I'm going to continue on with the method I've started, animated buttons. Thanks Samac for your help too. I think I am still way too novice to read whats going on there, but I will definitely try your method out in the near future once I finish this project. Thanks again all.