A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Help calling a class function from the timeline of a nested movie clip

Help calling a class function from the timeline of a nested movie clip

Hey guys,

I'm trying to call a function called checkForHit() located inside of my Hero class at a particular frame of an attack animation of my Hero object. Meaning, when his weapon is at the point in the animation where it could collide with any enemies, I want to call the function that performs the check.

My Hero Movie Clip is set up where it contains a Movie Clip on different frames that coorespond to the different animations (attacks, movements, etc). So the Hero MC contains a bunch of other MCs. That way I can just use hero.gotoAndStop("attack1");

The problem that I'm having is that the code that I wrote to call the checkForHit() function is written on one of the frame of the nested MC's timeline, and it's not being recognized. In fact, even if I put a trace("HELLO") on any of the frames on the nested MC, it's not being output. I even tried to put something that I know should cause an error on one of the frames, and it ran without throwing an error. It's almost like the code on the timeline isn't being compiled, or it's being skipped over somehow.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

RESOLVED

Exporting the Hero object on the first frame fixed the problem. I guess it didn't have time to load all of the nested clips, so it was never reading or running the code.