A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: apple

apple

So what does everyone think of all the new stuff?

Anyone with a new iphone have any comments on the screen?

I've never seen the new one in person. I own a 2nd gen ipod touch so that's the only one I've experienced..
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I'm more impressed with the Samsung Galaxy X
    Bigger screen lots of other cool stuff supports air/flex and has an incredibly bright screen for sunlight. Although I wish Notion Ink would get off the lazy arse and come out with Adam already.

I have an iPhone4 - screen is super nice. I only use it for testing, so can't tell you in any great comparative way to the other iPhones or any Android units. I use a BB for day to day.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Nothing announced got my attention.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I went ahead and pre-ordered the new iPod Touch, I need a device with the retina display so I can test higher resolution graphics for my next app.
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Nothing announced got my attention.
    I would've gotten more jazzed about the Apple TV upgrade due to Netflix integration if my BluRay player didn't already have it too.

I was actually thinking of picking up a BluRay player, but hesitated because I was still looking for something to stream content from iTunes to my home entertainment center as well. This will work quite nicely, and the price is right to boot.

Was also waiting for a camera in the Touch before picking one of those up. Will make a nice replacement for my old 40GB Gen 3 that barely holds a charge anymore. Plus I was looking at getting some sort of flip cam (or something similar) to capture family stuff ... this pretty much takes care of that. Plus games, email/web, other apps, can act as a remote for my tunes when I'm outside ... just works well for me without having to pick up an unneeded phone/data plan in the process.

Yeah the new touch looks pretty tempting. Especially with this crack in mine now(ug)
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Apples social plan with Ping + Game Center = Facebook as ally or Competitor.. we will see.
    Looks like a xBox Live type of thing
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    I would've gotten more jazzed about the Apple TV upgrade due to Netflix integration if my BluRay player didn't already have it too.
    Hehe yep. I already have 5 ways to stream bad movies.

I've read that older movies don't take the BluRay transission to well.
    http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewto...bluray#4227149

From all the products announced, I think the shuffle was the best one
    I think the previous shuffle with no buttons was the dumbest idea ever, and it's clear apple realized they made a mistake. I'm sure the new shuffles will sell incredibly well again.

The new nano, bleh, adding touch just because they can is dumb, just like making 3d movies. Just because it's trendy, doesn't mean it's always better. I think a hybrid clickwheel and touch would have been better. Also, didn't they remove the videocamera from to make it touch? This shows two things: that people don't really want video cameras on their ipods, or that the video camera is just a gimmick. Either way, this shows that the video camera for the ipod touch was a feature they added just to show they had something new to show. Either way, while the nano might look cool, I don't think it'll be as popular as the previous versions.

The ipod touch didn't offer anything really useful. They added the front camera just to push their facetime, which I think will be useless until you can do iphone to pc calls and viceversa. No increased storage, no photo camera. I still think it's one of the best media players if you don't own an ipod already, otherwise, stay with what you already have.
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

Might want to check that Touch again Argo ... same cameras as they have on the iPhone 4, 720p video capture, 5mp camera. Not ground-breaking, but a notable update. Likely why they removed the camera from the Nano, although I wish they did keep it.

Quote Originally Posted by clicky2 View Post
    same cameras as they have on the iPhone 4, 720p video capture, 5mp camera.
    The front facing camera is the same based on the frame rate and video capture, however the rear camera is NOT the 5MP camera found on the iPhone 4. The rear facing camera can only capture a maximum image size of 960 x 720, which is quite small. I didn't notice this until after making my pre-order, but I'm mainly in it for the high resolution screen so I'm not to worried.
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

Good catch. Was just assuming it was the same hardware since everything else, outside of the shape/size of the case, seems to be. I'm fine with that to be honest ... still an improvement over the last gen.

I'm loving Apple atm. My '07 MBP sh*t the bed yesterday and it just so happens that his particular model suffers from a hardware defect brought on by Nvidia vid cards. I don't nor have I ever had applecare and they're fixing it free of charge. My timemachine drive has all my data so I don't even care if it comes back wiped.

Funny start to an article about apple in the NYTimes:
    CUPERTINO, Calif.—At a special press event today, Steven P. Jobs, Apple’s chief executive, unveiled a new lineup of iPod models, just in time for the holiday season. The diminutive iPod Shuffle still has no screen and is still made of brushed aluminum, but it now has _____ and comes in _____ colors. Apple tinkered with the proportions of the iPod Nano, too, adding _____ and redesigning the _____. The popular iPod Touch also received a makeover; it’s thinner now, and gains new features like a _____ and a _____. All models now offer better battery life and greater storage capacity.

Yes, the ritual of Apple’s annual September new-iPods announcement is so well entrenched at this point that you can practically reuse the same news item every year.
    I don't like the nano makeover, but the Touch looks pretty sexy, and ultra thin.
    mmm signature

As if this week wasn't good enough, APPLE LIFTS THE BAN! http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2010...statement.html

Hah. Knew that one was on its way.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Interesting comments from Apple on that 'change of heart' though. They managed to throw in the reminder that they still reserve the right to accept or reject apps...they simply don't arbitrarily reject them based on the way they're compiled.

I also heard a comment that they would like to thank people in advance, but they 'have enough fart apps already.'

*nice*