A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Debugging Err1010 - Term is undefined

Debugging Err1010 - Term is undefined

I've been trying my hand at web applications for almost a year now and I've found this to be a really tough bug sometimes. Like a needle in a haystack. I use MonsterDebugger but it doesn't trace these kinds of error messages. Any solutions?
    glhf

You could always manually check over all the places where the things is modified in some way.
    If you use the error and trace() to find out WHERE it becomes undefined you can know WHY it is.

Good, I cracked it, but without really figuring out what exactly was the problem (it was some kind of early loading issue, it was trying to access object before they were loaded to stage).

How do I use "error and trace()"? Would really like to know for next time because this happens alot.
    glhf

Oh, ok, by "error" I meant find out which line is unable to run. Then use that to follow where the error is coming.
    For trace(), when you put:
    PHP Code:
    trace("Hello"
    It will put "Hello" in the output box (The one that errors come up in, not the compiler errors, mind). You can do this with any objects or variables to see what is undefined or not what it should be.
    Like:
    PHP Code:
    var aNumber:Number 53
    trace 
    (aNumber//"53" will be in the output box that errors come up in. 
    How you use it to work things out for errors (I actually made this mistake yesterday):
    PHP Code:
    var aNumber:uint = -//yes, I know that it's not allowed, but Flash lets this happen
    trace(aNumber// guess what it will be? 
    //Somewhere around the 400,000 mark. 
    //It completely messes with the number because I have a negative number as a uint. 
    //But since it will be allowed through, this is the only way to know for sure what the problem is