A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: looking for some audio advice(hardware)

looking for some audio advice(hardware)

So I have just gotten these speakers as a gift... But all I have is the speakers themselves. I guess before I go on, I should mention I'm rather poor. I need to find something,as cheap as possible without completely compromising the sound quality, to power these speakers, ideally with the ability to hook up either/both my computer and television to them. I don't plan to play CD's often(I don't own any CD's anymore)and radio I'd listen to but in no way is it necessary.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

-ChaseNYC
    mmm signature

Cheap, when it comes to audio equipment is a very relative term. You'll need some sort of receiver/amplifier setup. 8 ohms (the power rating on those speakers) is fairly standard, so you shouldn't have any compatibility problems. For a reasonable price you should be able to pick up a used Onkyo or Yamaha amp. Check Craigslist. Look for something with at least 100 Watts per channel, preferably 150-200. Also, speaker placement will increase your sound perfomance dramatically. Put them on a level surface and make sure that the needle looking pegs on the bottom are all touching the floor so they don't vibrate and move. Speaker wire is key as well. Get at least 14 AWG speaker wire and hook up Banana plugs. FInd a cheap online retailer and make your own cables. Low cost is fine, but 'cheap' will seriously degrade your listening experience.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 - good, inexpensive wire
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2 - good, inexpensive banana plugs -- you'll need two sets of two.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

So, I found something that looks good: Sony DAV-HDX274 DVD/Receiver 5-disc changer + 6 speakers. Obviously I don't exactly need the speakers since I have some but it also kills my second problem of needing a dvd player for my television. Only question is, I can't figure out whether I'd be able to hook up just my two speakers to this system as well as my tv and dump the rest of the speakers. Anyone able to tell from that manual? Thanks, I know this is asking a lot.
    mmm signature

In short, the answer is no. The Ohm rating on that Amp is 3 Ohms. That means you need speakers which have enough resistance to handle that. Yours don't. So...no. This is a very very bad choice. If you are looking for something that is some sort of all in one option, you are going to suffer on ratings/quality, etc. Sony is also notorious for overstating the power on their home audio systems. In addition, these all-in-one systems usually have some sort of proprietary connector. In this case, they mention this: "DAV Connector." I am guessing that is not going to work with your speakers. My advice...go on Craigslist...find a used A/V receiver. Get a cheap DVD player from Best Buy or whatever to satisfy your need for that. I'm not trying to be an audio snob here, but these types of systems, when paired with something that it's not meant for is like buying a car that has a built in coffee maker. You end up with a crappy car that makes bad coffee.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

N' then I might just
    Jump back on
    An' ride
    Like a cowboy
    Into the dawn
    ........To Montana.
    Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21 View Post
    My advice...go on Craigslist...find a used A/V receiver. Get a cheap DVD player from Best Buy or whatever to satisfy your need for that. .
    I agree. I bought a very nice JVC receiver/amplifier from a pawn shop 10 years ago for $50. The amp has a DAD/AUX out, and that plugs straight into my sound card. At the same time, I bought a $20 CDC turntable.

Both are still working and doing all that I need done.
    No longer a Flashkit mod, not even by stealth

Insanity is just a point of view. After all, the world looks pretty normal through your own underpants.