A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Questions about website plan

Arrow Questions about website plan

Hello! I was wondering a few things for a website/webpage I wanted to build (like iGoogle) as a homepage:

1) Can a flash webpage have widgets within it (like iGoogle for example) that will automatically update (sort of like AJAX) and/or receive info from another link (weather, stocks, etc.)?

2) Is a flash webpage going to be slower to load compared to if I made it with AJAX?

3) Any tips or code to help get me started on the webpage

Thanks in advance,
    SK

1) Generally speaking you can do anything with Flash that you can do with HTML, you just go about it a different way. So yes, you could create widgets that connect to servers and update.

2) A Flash page isn't necessarily slower to load, it depends on what you're doing and how you implement it.

3) Keep in mind that if you want people using iPhones/iPods/iPads or Flash blockers to use your site, you'll want to provide alternate content for them. If that audience matters to you (and they may not), you might want to consider if you can accomplish what you want with HTML.

Thanks so much! Great info,

I think I will be using AJAX (I want to start learning), so do you have any tips by any chance?