A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Kinect, a new hope for Microsoft

Kinect, a new hope for Microsoft

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...ily-love_money This promises to be pretty awesome I think. It's definitely nice for Microsoft to be doing something new for a change. With the amount of funds Microsoft has they have great potential for pushing the envelope. Personally I don't care for Microsoft but for them to innovate like this improves things.

You clearly don't own an x-box. Microsoft has been killing it with xbl content. It remains to be seen how gimicky the Kinect is but I'm really looking forward to trying it out.

there are no launch games for it that are anything remotely must have and thus the hardware is not must have.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

very true

yep. and its really sad to as the tech is incredible. i mean even if they had made a ****ing sign language teacher i would have been thinking about it.

hopefully they will make a "myst" type of game, FPS puzzle solving, where instead of a mouse you will use your body to solve the puzzles.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Kinect Adventures looks pretty fun but its not a peripheral seller.

My question becomes. Where does MS need to go? With cash on hand and an ever diminishing software market do they need to constantly be on the cutting edge or is it wiser for them to diversify into different fields where they can prosper without trying to be the forerunner.

jAQUAN is right. Kinect adventures is not just a peripheral seller, it's a "lot of peripherials" seller. The raft accessory for Kinect Adventures, anyone?

you're right jAQUAN, I don't own an xbox. I suppose that even if this does end up being a flop, it will be great because the tech will have been advanced. Visual/voice recognition are things that seem to be lacking as far as the consumer side is concerned, as far as I have seen. It may be a flop, but it's still nice to see Microsoft doing something new.

Quote Originally Posted by Frets View Post
    My question becomes. Where does MS need to go? With cash on hand and an ever diminishing software market do they need to constantly be on the cutting edge or is it wiser for them to diversify into different fields where they can prosper without trying to be the forerunner.
    I'm not so sure about the software market diminishing...there's plenty of emerging markets for them to sell their products in. They may not be the growth story that Apple or some of the cloud-based companies are, but neither is IBM anymore and they seem to have reinvented themselves just fine.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

http://www.newsy.com/videos/retiring...ts-death-of-pc

There may be more then a few rising software companies but people are less interested in computers and software in general. Remember a few years back when mad photo skills meant everything and the Arena was jammed packed?

I don't agree that people can't understand computers, I do see that people don't want to spend their lives in front of one. And I don't think software manufactuers will be able to make it financially in the app/cloud world.

Quote Originally Posted by Frets View Post
    And I don't think software manufactuers will be able to make it financially in the app/cloud world.
    Well, that makes one of us.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |