A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: video and control panel not showing up

video and control panel not showing up

Hi!

I've done this before but its just been a while. I've created a new flash actionscript 3 file, imported an mp4 video with a control panel (SkinOverAll.swf).

when I 'test movie' in flash, it works.

when I open the html file in a browser from my local drive, the 'SkinOverAll.swf' file doesn't load

when I upload the HTML and both swf files to my webspace, nothing loads at all

what am I doing wrong?

thanks so much for your help!

Not enough information to say for sure, but most likely it's a path problem. Post a link.
    Test the pathing by directly downloading the .swf and/or the mp4 file. That is, you should be able to directly download either by typing the complete address in your browser address bar, like:
    If the file can be downloaded from there, then I know that the path to the video from a page in the root directory would be:
    Code:
    flash/my_video.mp4
    even if the .swf and the .mp4 are in the same folder.
    A common mistake is to use a path to the video file RELATIVE to the physical location of the .swf. Once that .swf is placed on a Web page in another folder, you are (in effect), removing the .swf from it's physical location and placing it in another folder. From the new location on the Web page, the relative path back to the video file has changed and so the path used to load the video must also change.
    The .swf, the video file, and any other Flash related assets do not "all need to be in the same folder", as commonly suggested. They can be wherever you want to place them. It just requires correct pathing to put everything together.
    Video Man

does the mp4 file need to be uploaded as well? I have uploaded the following:
    - affiliate_video_1010.html
    - affiliate_video_1010.swf
    - SkinOverAll.swf
    - How to Use the peeka-bu Mirror for Bikini Shaving and Women's Health.mp4 (currently uploading it now)

the link is:
    http://www.nicnackproductions.com/ni...ideo_1010.html

yes the mp4 file has to be uploaded.
    Hopefully it will be named using "best practice", no upper case and no spaces in file name.
    I'm still not seeing any video so maybe it's still being uploaded.
    I can direct download the 2 .swf files but nothing is appearing on the html page yet.
    Video Man

okay the files have all been fully uploaded now:
    - affiliate_video_1010.html
    - affiliate_video_1010.swf
    - SkinOverAll.swf
    - peekabu.mp4

and here is the link:
    http://www.nicnackproductions.com/ni...ideo_1010.html

Well I'm able to directly download the mp4 file now so I can see that it's there. The player .swf is there, the video mp4 file is there... hummm.
    When I direct download the mp4, it wants to open in QT and not Flash. So I'm wondering if you have a version of the Flash player that you are testing in that is different than the plugin version used by the Web browser. or, the file is infact a QT file and not palyable by the Flash player. I don't really know the answer... but you say you have tested on your local machine and it works... right?
    About the only other thing would be to double check the path you have set in the player params (properties panel) to make sure you are correctly pointing to the video file.
    Good luck!
    Video Man

its just so weird that it works perfectly fine on my local browser:
    file:///files/peekabu/affiliate%20page/10:10/affiliate_video_1010.html

but not the live link..

it doesnt make sense.. ?

The Web page downloads from the first link you posted but not the second. And all the parts can be direct downloaded from the first link. Are links suppose to be the same?
    VM

the second link is a local link on my harddrive so you wouldn't be able to view anything. I was just sending it because I wanted to explain that it loads perfectly fine from a local link on my harddrive but once I upload it to my server space it no longer works.. so I dont understand whats happening.. do you have any thoughts?

also on another note, how do you prevent the movie from automatically playing back (so that the user can instead choose to click 'play' if they want to)?

I'm assuming you are using the FLVPlayback component... if so, you'd set the playback params down in the properties panel (auto, etc).
    I can play the video on a web page of mine by using this as the address:
    http://www.nicnackproductions.com/ni...bu/peekabu.mp4
    I'm using a JW Player and an xml playlist.... works just fine with your video.
    So you must not have the correct path to the video set in the player. Again, double check the path in the properties panel. Path should be correct for the file structure on the server, not the path as on your local machine.
    Video Man

ok I redid everything an started with actionscript 2. I dont know what to conclude but its working now:
    http://www.nicnackproductions.com/ni...abu_video.html

but if you can tell me how to stop it from autoplay, that would be awesome!

With the playback component on the stage, select it, then down in Properties panel, there is a "Parameters" tab. Open that and change autoPlay to "false".
    VM

I can't select only the playback component. its all one object (the video and the control panel). So in the properties panel I only see:
    'instance of FLVplayback'

Next to the property panel is a parameters tab. Try that.
    See attached photo
    VM
    Attached Images Attached Images