A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Streaming media resources for simple needs

Streaming media resources for simple needs

I am creating a Flash project that contains one 9 minute video, plus buttons to click to learn more about the subjects covered in the video (and when you click one it pauses the video automatically).

I have embedded the video with navigation cue points and wish to create a list for skipping around the video to sections. I understand that the navigation buttons will not work until the entire video has downloaded, unless I use a streaming media server.

I am wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction for streaming media possibilities. Considering it is only for the one video, my requirements are quite small compared to say a gaming server.
    Is there an option out there for such a simple need that is less costly?

There will be other videos on the site, but none of them require navigation so would be OK on a regular progressive download, but perhaps all of it will benefit from having the streaming media server anyway.

All it takes is MONEY!!
    You might be able to host the video on a "Free" streaming video service.... but remember, you get what you pay for.. a cheap (looking) presentation that limits your control (with stuff like ads, etc).
    If you want this to be a professional presentation, then do like a professional. If it's just a home or family presentation, then perhaps a free hosting site would work for you.
    If you can afford a true streaming server, go for it! Red5 open source server is just one option to the Flash Media Streaming Server.
    If the budget is not there, consider a couple alternatives:
    HTTP Pseudo-Streaming
    http://www.longtailvideo.com/support...eudo-streaming
    or Google for more info.
    A second option would be to build a simple Flash player with a playlist, using multiple videos, each video is just the one "chapter" or whatever you are calling the navigation points. I'd suggest using NetStream to play the videos rather that using the FLVPlayback component because it's much more flexible and powerful.... would give you a lot more options.
    So your buttons just play different videos, allowing the viewer to jump to wherever they want. Yes where would be some short buffer time, but even streaming video has some buffertime built in. This could provide a much, much cheaper alternative to true streaming, especially if it's mainly for just one video
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

Hi again, not sure you remember me from a different thread. You checked out my project actually with the Indian concert video. That is the video I am referring to. Let me know if you'd like the link again. the idea of cutting it into various videos probably won't go over well, since it's a concert and the sections flow into each other.
    Ads are not an option as this is a professional presentation and is expressly an educational site for K - college about Indian music.

I realize it costs but because it is just the one video I'm sure we don't have to go for the full on streaming server to achieve what we want. That was why I was asking this, to know what other less expensive options might be out there (that still provide a professional, non ad laden environment).

Pseudo streaming sounds like a definite possibility. I don't really understand how you get it though. Can you advise? Are there certain web hosts that are better than others to use when you need this sort of thing?

I asked GoDaddy (since that is where the site is currently hosted) and they said we'd need a dedicated or virtual dedicated server but I don't understand if that provides the streaming server or you then have to load the software or ? We can move the site if there is a better hosting option that provides the pseudo streaming you referred to. I just don't even know where to start or what to be asking for.

Here's a little more info about pseudo streaming:
    http://flowplayer.org/plugins/stream...streaming.html
    It involves installing a script (software) on the server. So yes, in most cases you will have to have a "dedicated server", meaning you are the only one using that physical machine, or at least "virtual dedicated server" which may be shared with other users, but you have a separate section on that server.
    Most Web sites are hosted on shared servers and the host will not let you monkey with anything on the server because it might screw up something for other users who also have web sites on that same physical machine.
    So VDS would probably be the cheapest, then you still have to install the script yourself... so research that well before you start.
    It's a big step moving from progressive downloading and it's low, low cost, to any type of streaming video, pseudo or true streaming. Much more technical and costly.
    Video Man