A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: embeded html Text in Full flash website.. easier for SEO?

embeded html Text in Full flash website.. easier for SEO?

Hi.,.. i was wondering if i can convert all my flash websites text into HTML so that flash can get it from external .html files... would that help improving the flash SEO?

What do you guys think?

Only what is outside of the Flash movie can be read by SEO. Whether text is HTML or regular text within the movie does not make any difference.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Hi cancer thanks for your help!

So if i load externally the text through .html files i got better chances on SEO ?

I found a way to load html text through AS3 inside flash ....but still that wouldnt make a difference i quess...

Thanks for your help!

Use swfobject to place your Flash on the html Web page:
    http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/
    This will allow you to create "alternate content" for viewers without the Flash browser plugin. The alt content is regular old html, text, images, links, etc... The good part is that all that "alt content" is indexed by search engines the same as normal html is. The end result being a nice Flash display plus great SEO.
    Here's an example where the client sent me one big jpeg image, wanting me to make the web page out of that. I told him that was a terrible idea because the site would be completely invisible to search engines... nope, he just had to use that image...
    OK, so I turned that image into a simple .swf and placed that image (now turned .swf) on the page with swfobject... but I also included a ton of additional "alt content".
    Take a look at the site and compare what you see on the page (it's just an image) with what you see in the source code:
    http://www.ksowetsuits.com/
    Flash and SEO can easily work hand in hand.
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

Hi Video Man thanks for this....

I saw the source code and even though i dont know much HTML it seems easy to do... do you have any good tutorials where i can create a step by step example of this?

Thanks man

The process of using swfobject is basically to go ahead and layout the Web page first, create the <div> that will be used to hold your Flash content, but initially leave the Flash out, just give that <div> a background color and size dimensions.
    So you have a functional Web page with the DOCTYPE declaration, the<head>, and a <body> with an empty <div id="flash_content">.
    Then go ahead and fill that <div> with all your html content, forget about using Flash for the time being... just be sure that all the content you create goes inside that one <div id="flash_content">.
    Once that's all done, you put in the swfobject code and link to the actual .js file. swbobject will check to see if the viewer's browser has the Flash plugin, if it does, it will display that Flash content instead of displaying the html... if no plugin, it displays the html. It all has to do with swfobject swapping the content of that one <div id="flash_content"> for the Flash content....that's why you need to put all your html content in just that one <div>, it's going to be swapped out for the Flash.
    Great place to learn HTML:
    http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp
    and use the link in other post for swfobject code and link to download the javascript itself.
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

Thanks for all this...really appreciated!!