A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Disc] How much harder is it to make your game a multiplayer game for facebook?

[Disc] How much harder is it to make your game a multiplayer game for facebook?

Hi everyone, I'm new around these parts, hows it going.

As you can see from my username I like tycoon games, so much so that I have decided to make my own. I have been using flash for a while for little things, and my code skills are not too great. However, I'm fairly confident that if I polish my skills a little and read a couple more AS3 books that I can make my own tycoon game. Having said that, I suspect I would need to learn a fair bit more if I wanted to make a game that can be put on facebook, something that is "multiplayer" the same way farmville and other such games are.

I wanted to see if I could get some general feedback on just how much harder it would be, and how much longer or problematic this would make things.

Is making a "kind of mmorpg" game for facebook much harder than making a single player game?

What kind of other things would I need to learn? and, where would you suggest I start?

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Is making a "kind of mmorpg" game for facebook much harder than making a single player game?
    Yeah I would say so. MMO type games are very data driven and can be pretty complex to setup. Also there is a lot you need to think about in advance before you start.

Have you made any games before? The integration into facebook is not so hard. Pretty easy to pick up their api's.

What sort of multiplayer did you have in mind? Did you want users to be able to chat with one another in realtime. Then that's another different ball game of learning too. I suggest looking into socket servers. I currently use Electro Server and Smart Fox Server but there is a couple cool sites like player.io that offer multiplayer facilities so you don't have to setup a server.
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

if I polish my skills a little
    Sounds funny ))

A "little" won't be enough. And, btw, you'll also have to use java and/or php or some other language that can be used to write an extension for server