A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: adding a bitmap graphic to a movieclip in as3 code

adding a bitmap graphic to a movieclip in as3 code

Hi, I'm new to as3 and programming and I'm trying to add a bitmap to a movie clip in code. However, I'm having trouble getting the bitmap location to go where I want it because it's inside the movieclip and it just shows up at 0,0 of the movieclip instead of the coordinates I want it to be: Here's some of code so you can see what I mean:

imageBitmapData3 = new Lander(63, 53);

_player = new Bitmap(imageBitmapData3);

_gameLevel.addChild(_player);
    _player.x = 145;
    _player.y = 90;

-Instead of showing up at 145, 90 It just shows up at the movieclip, _gamelevel, 0,0.

does anyone know how I could get it to do what I want it to do? I want to add it inside the mc because I need everything to move with the _gameLevel background when I move it.

Thanks

can't be sure what Lander is, but assuming it's a valid BitmapData object, what you have should be fine.

Lander is what I named the class for the field in the Linkage Properties box for the bitmap. Like I said it shows up at 0,0 instead of 145,90. I just tried just adding the bitmap as addChild(_player) without the _gameLevel in front of it and it does the same thing, shows up at 0,0. I can't figure out why.
    Last edited by WEich1213; 12-01-2010 at 03:39 PM.

you must be setting the position elsewhere... i just duplicated that setup exactly (added an image to the library, gave it a class name of Lander, and pasted your code with some var declarations), and it works fine.

ok thanks