A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Is The iPhone Killing Flash?

Is The iPhone Killing Flash?

Do you think the iPhone is killing flash? I have been using javascript for many of the things I used to use Flash for but I still love Flash.

Well that's a loaded question, especially on a Flash forum. It won't kill Flash as long as Adobe keeps innovating with Flash. That could mean doing things with the plug-in that HTML can't, it could mean offering the option with Flash to export HTML/CSS/Javascript/SVG/Canvas/whatever, it could be some combination of the two.

So I wouldn't say kill. What the iPhone/iPod/iPad ARE doing is pushing all those HTML pieces to be better than they have been in the past, and innovate more quickly. That's a great thing.

That's a very interesting perspective. I had been becoming very negative in my view of Apple.

Iphone and Flash don't really compete. IPhone is a smartphone, while flash main target are the browser applications. When you will be able to use IPhone instead of Internet Explorer and Firefox then they will compete.

Apple and Google are pushing for HTML5. HTML5 could be a competitor for Flash but it will take some time until HTML5 will be supported by most of the browsers like flash is.

That's true. But with so many iPhone users it is staring to become necessary to consider their user experience as well.

well,i don't think so.

Why

Quote Originally Posted by honeya View Post
    well,i don't think so.
    Can you tell us why?
    Thanks

Apple iOS will not support Flash, but you can only build iOS applications from Flash. This whole thing started when Apple had too much pressure from Adobe and such, then allow 3rd party developers.

But I mean like why would Apple stop allowing Flash developers to develop native apps for iOS? Apple developers still have to pay $99 before they get to distribute their works. There are more Flash developers than Objective-C developers, so much more money in.

Quote Originally Posted by flashmed View Post
    Apple iOS will not support Flash, but you can only build iOS applications from Flash. This whole thing started when Apple had too much pressure from Adobe and such, then allow 3rd party developers.

But I mean like why would Apple stop allowing Flash developers to develop native apps for iOS? Apple developers still have to pay $99 before they get to distribute their works. There are more Flash developers than Objective-C developers, so much more money in.
    I think there is a lot of politics and egos in the way. Have you seen this video of Steve Jobs on Flash? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPb9eRNyIrQ

Anyway, Apple banned Flash now. http://daringfireball.net/2010/04/ip...flash_compiler and they are never going to allow Flash Player on their devices.

That stinks. So many people have viewed Apple as the good guys and the underdog. I think this is a big misconception.

Wait, I'm really confused. It seems I've been reading the older articles. Because this is a newer one and it says Apple has lifted Flash restriction: http://www.sosuke.com/index.php/2010...g-objective-c/

Can anyone point me to the right light: Apple allows Flash-to-iPhone compiler or not?