A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Delay Live Video

Delay Live Video

Anybody have any experience being able to do this? I am streaming live video to a fms and then grabbing that and sending it to viewers. Is there anyway to grab that stream wait 2 minutes then send it to them so everyone watching would be 2 minutes behind the actual live stream? I was thinking the easiest way to do it would be to stream then wait 2 minutes and have something grab the video file and start streaming it almost like a dvr.

Any help is appreciated.

Well the dvr idea might work but it seems kind of complex.
    Instead you could just set a 120 second buffer time, something like this:
    Code:
    ns.setBufferTime(120);
    works with NetStream.
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

wouldn't they be able to just hit play and watch it before the 120 seconds though?

also, if I did that say someone tunes in 5 minutes into the live event. Will they have to wait 2 minutes before they get to watch it? I'm not sure how it works.

Well buffering is not usually used for such a long period of time, usually it's just a matter of a few seconds. But the method used would work for longer times. So, to your questions
    wouldn't they be able to just hit play and watch it before the 120 seconds though?
    NO, the video would have to buffer for 120 seconds before it's displayed.
    Will they have to wait 2 minutes before they get to watch it?
    Yes, the video player will buffer for 120 seconds before beginning the display.
    the advantages of this method are that it's very simple to implement, costs nothing, and the work (buffering) is done on the viewers machine.
    A disadvantage is that the view has to wait 120 before seeing the video (but that could be offset by preloading).
    This solution is just one option or starting point.
    Solutions such as the dvr would be more complex, costly, and would need to be implemented on the server, not on the clients machine. But that may work also.
    If you are using Flash Media Live Encoder, it does have a dvr feature:
    http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashmed...e_dvr_pt2.html
    Best wishes,
    Video Man