A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: embedding fonts

embedding fonts

Hi everyone, I'm having a nightmare with embedding fonts in CS3

Is it possible to embed fonts in CS3 so that custom fonts on your computer are visible on someone elses computer who doesn't have the font installed on their windows/font folder?

Also, are you able to adjust the alpha value of text in CS3? ie. over time, in the way you would perform an alpha tween.

I'm trying to avoid using AS3 if possible for this. Please direct me to a comphrensive guide as the adobe website is not very helpful.

Can you be more specific about the problem you're having? I can type out all the steps to embed a font and fade it, but it may not help without knowing what you're trying to do and what you've tried already.

The answers to your questions are yes, you can embed a font in a .swf so anyone can see the font even if they don't have that font installed. In fact, that's what embedding a font means.

And yes, you can adjust the alpha of text over time. The easiest way is to convert it to a symbol first (Modify>Convert to Symbol).

Hi thanks for the kind reply

I am using text to create a menubar in flash. I would like selected objects to fade in and out when the mouse cursor is over them.

I have uploaded an example. The first item will not work at all, although I am using the font 'CustomFont' which is in my Library. I selected 'new font' in the library panel and have tried to use the embed font functionality - if I have done this wrong, please explain!! the font does not matter, any unusual custom font could be used to replace it

The second button ("about us") has the effect I am trying to create. However I have had to change the entire object into a bitmap, this is annoying as I am trying to use lots of text. Apologises for the thin text.

Thank you SO MUCH FOR ANY HELP!!!

Whoops the form doesn't accept .rars, trying again... not having much luck today
    Attached Files Attached Files

also, does anyone know a correct guide online about this? I'm sure its not a new problem but I can't find anything about it on the internet that seems to answer my question.

:
    In the first item 'instance1', the instance is a Movie Clip, it should be a Button.
    Last edited by dawsonk; 02-06-2011 at 06:34 PM.

Thank you for your example dawsonk! It's a little more complicated than I thought to do this, and I wasn't organizing my animations in the right way in my buttons - nothing to do with font embedding. I still don't totally understand but it makes a little more sense. Thank you again guys, flashkit is a great place to be