A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] Pre-Loader

resolved [RESOLVED] Pre-Loader

Hey Guys,

I have a tutorial-based carousel navigation item for my site built, and now new XML content (CDATA) for the carousel can be loaded dynamically into the carousel depending on pressing different language buttons (example attached). After a few fails and tries, all good!

What I am trying to do is apply a preloader for the whole thing. Attached are 3 FLAs:

1) 'working' shows the different language buttons working as I have them - the tooltips and expanded icons will show different XML content depending on the language button selected (English, Polish, German, Dutch - haven't created content or translated yet, but you can see different identifiers!)

2) 'preloader' shows the preloader I would like to apply to the carousel item. The layers are moved to frame ten mostly, 'Export in Frame 1' has been un-checked in properties for the 'item' and 'tooltip' library items, and a new layer containing dummy 'item' and 'tooltip' instances in keyframe 5 have been added. The AS has also been changed, but it doesn't take into account the multi-XML change as in 1 above ......

3) 'bridging' is my sorry attempt to bridge the gap between 1 and 2 above. I think that a separate array will be needed - one for the multi-XML and another for the way in which the preloader works, but nothing that I have done so far can get this to work. I have been banging my head on this since Saturday, the 'bridging' actions layer only contains a slight variation on some of the bonkers theories I have been trying, I've rolled back most of the changes - all to no avail though....

Can anybody please have a look at what I am trying to do and let me know what it is that I am doing wrong, or give me some pointers? The 'problem' AS sits in the keyframe in frame 10 of the 'actions' layer.

Thanks in anticipation,

lobster_bot
    Last edited by lobster_bot; 01-26-2011 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Edit post re actionscript

Hey Guys,

Anybody have any thoughts on this? As said, I reckon the problem I am having is down to needing two arrays and not knowing quite how to get around this. The AS in Frame 1 should be fine.... it is the script Frame 10 that is at fault....somehow!

Any advice would be much appreciated (Christmas would definitely be coming early!).

Cheers,

lobster_bot

Hey Everyone,

I pretty much have my whole site ready to go, the only problem is that I still have problems with putting a preloader on the main page (because of a modification on my carousel to allow 'reloading' it every time you hit a language flag button). It's a bit nasty, 'cos when you go to my site's main page you have a pretty long wait.......

I've been looking at this every evening consistently over the last month, but I have reached the far side of my Flash understanding, and I was really hoping for a bit of help in trying to get some more understanding on this. If anybody can help, then please have a look at the sample files attached......

BTW - this is the modification I am trying to use: http://www.gotoandlearnforum.com/vie...p?f=35&t=14393

Highly appreciated.

lobster_bot
    Last edited by lobster_bot; 01-17-2011 at 03:38 PM.

you can download preset ones, and simply change the images.

i know you can get them from newgrounds.com, but there are definately more

Thanks Ffatty - I'll give it a look and see. The thing is the preloader here is specific to the carousel itself - headaches! If I knew the amount of problems it would cause trying to get it working I probably wouldn't have used it in the first place!

@Mods,

Please remove this thread - I had to take a different approach.

Thanks!

lobster_bot