A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Navigation.swf into webpage.fla

Question Navigation.swf into webpage.fla

I'm currently developing a full flash site. I've made the dropdown navigation menu with flash also. However, whenever I insert or import it into the webpage .fla, nothing works. When I preview the navigation menu swf file it works perfectly, ie, the mouseover effects, however I lose all actionscript coding when I bring it into my webpage .fla, what am I doing wrong?

Thank you sooo much in advance for your help, I'm ready ot hit my head against the wall!

Just a quick reminder that there is no such thing as a full Flash site... only HTML, PHP, ASP sites which may have some Flash content. So the anwer to your question may have just as much to do with HTML as it does with Flash.
    First off, what do you mean by webpage .fla? An fla file is a Flash document file and is never used on a Web page but rather after compiling the .fla into a .swf, the .swf is displayed on the HTML Web page.
    Now sure how your menu ties into your main .fla... do you have two separate .fla/.swf files? a main one and also a menu one?
    Describing in exact detail the relationship and how ("when I bring it into my webpage .fla") you are doing this.
    Best wishes,
    Video Man

Sorry let me elaborate a bit more. I was unbelievably frustrated upon posting this initially. I'm making a site with CS5 Flash Professional. Of course when published it is a .swf

I made a dropdown navigation menu in Flash as well, however, anytime I try to import it into the website, it loses all of it's actions, therefore losing it's usability. I need to know how to import my dropdown navigation menu which is already an .swf into the main site I'm working on.

I've tried importing it into my library and dragging it over. I've tried importing directly to stage. Either way I do it, I lose all of my actions.

I greatly appreciate your response, I hope this explains things a bit more.

OK, it's a little clearer now but let's review a few things.
    Is the navigation menu for navigation to different frames in your main .swf or to different external HTML pages?
    When you say that it loses all the actions, do you mean that the actionscript has disappeared or that the actions just do not work?
    Are you using AS2 or AS3?
    I still use AS2 so I'll just offer some opinions and you can translate to AS3 if needed.
    First, have you tried loading the external .swf via actionscript instead of just dragging it in? In AS2 it would be via loadMovie or loadMovieClip. This would load the menu into an existing container movie clip which would also have it's own instance name.
    But to "drill down" and access the "box inside a box", you have to use dot notation, something like this:
    Code:
    play6b.pl7.select_btn.onRelease = function(){...
    This is an example of movie clip button "select_btn" which is inside pl7 which is inside play6b.
    You may just need to "drill down" into your menu to get it to work once you move it to the main.swf.
    Or, re-create the menu directly inside your main .swf by copying the frames in the menu .fla, insert a new symbol in your main .fla, paste the frames into that symbol.... now you have it in the Library, actions and all, then drag onto stage and be sure to give it an instance name. Hopefully you have all your actions in one actions layer and NOT on any symbols themself. If so, you can remove that actions layer from the menu symbol and copy them directly into the actions layer of your main timeline, being sure everything has instance names and that you "drill down" when needed.
    Best of luck!
    Video Man

I will defnately try this tonight!

Thank you greatly!!