A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Cameras on the market

Cameras on the market

Hi, I've been wanting to get a Canon 7D, my buddy has one and its just amazing. The video, pictures and ISO is just insane.

I have done alot of research on Dpreview and well.. the Canon 7D seems to be one of the best out there depsite that its 2 years old.

What other cameras are out there that can compete with the Canon 7D , price and quality?
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Nikonist
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

I've been impressed with what I've seen from the Nikons but if you already have an investment in the canon lenses then you'll be looking to stay with Canon.

7D - If you're coming from something like a 40D or a 450D you will think it's a good camera.

However - I bought one a while back and I also had a 5D Classic. I was massively disappointed with the 7D. The image quality just couldn't match that of the full frame 5D Classic. The focus on the 7D is supposed to be a big step up from previous models but I found it gimmicky and awkward to use.

In fact - I was so dissapointed with it that I sold it and bought a 5D Mark II - now there's a camera. The image quality of the 5D Mark II is amazing - the colours are rich and there's a great depth to the images. Full frame is the way to go.

Also - the noise on the 7D is nasty. Sure it's probably better than the 40D but stick it above ISO 800 and the noise is very unattractive.

Remember - it's not just the amount of noise that you need to think about but the quality of the noise. It's difficult to explain but I now normally shoot at ISO 800 on my 5D MII because the noise is minimal but whatever noise there is is a nice, natural grain. The 7D just looks messy.

Video - the only advantage I can see the 7D has is that it shoots at 60fps so you can shoot slow(ish) motion move and playback at 24fps. But still - the 5D Mark II is full frame so film is kind of better looking (a shallower depth of field for that cool, film look) and with the firmware upgrade you get 24fps.

Some people may say that the 5D's focus system is dated but think about how you use your focus - do you move focus points around for each shot or do you use centre focus and then recompose the shot? (which is quicker than selecting focus points for each shot).

The crop sensor does give you an effective 1.6 increase on your lenses so this might be a good thing on longer lenses where you want to zoom in but then you lose out at the wider end. Plus - the 5D Mark II has a higher resolution sensor so you can crop tighter which kind of gives more zoom into your shots once you have taken them (if that makes sense).

If you go over the photography on the net forum there are countless 5D Mark II VS 7d threads so go and see what those folks say but here's the thing - I have owned both - I'm not biased in any way - I could have kept the 7D if it was good enough but I chose not to and was so much more pleased with 5D Mark II.

Honestly - I don't think they're even in the same league - The 5D Mark II outshines the 7D by a country mile.

Nikonist
    Now That is a reply!!!
    Thank you John for these interesting aspects...though it is not my thread
    !!Click on your own risk!!

Experience is a wonderful thing, it enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again!

www.ajs-design.de

wow! thanks for the info, i actually forgot i posted this! i'll check out the markii. i am surprise to see you report on the noise on the iso, i just didnt see that on dprview review nor on the pics we are taking. maybe on the microscopic level?? http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos7d/page27.asp
    All out of Honey Buffers, so i grabed a few Goose Heads

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    well I'm back on the 5DMII wagon, if I get my Japan flights next month, I'll get it there

PCRIDE - The 7D is a good camera, no doubt but once you've tried full frame I dont think you could go back. I'm not really a believer in pixel peeking to get an idea of the quality of a camera - I think you need to look at the whole image and you'll just get a better "look" from the 5D Mark II - it's full frame - you get more light on the sensor.

See if you can try both for a few weeks. I remember when I had my 7D, every time I checked my photos on my computer I was always a little disappointed they didn't quite have that "look" I was going for. Every time I check out my 5D pics, I always think what an amazing camera it is.