A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: So verizon has the Iphone

So verizon has the Iphone

And now verizon users have a tough choice to make.

My 2 year contract is up next week, i'm eligible for one more upgrade before verizon gets rid of its new every 2 program. Do i go droid, or do i go iphone?

I currently have a storm, my BB has been good but its my personal phone so i don't do a whole lot of business on it, so staying BB for my personal device isn't really ideal at the moment.

Apple will no doubt release a new iphone this summer so i will be 2 years behind before i am able to get another phone.

Has anyone used both iphone and droid phones for extended time? which do you prefer?
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I don't have the iphone but I did have the touch so I have used the OS quite a bit before and now I currently have the DROID2 and I much prefer android over iOS. There are still some apps that major companies have made iphone only but I definitely see that changing over this coming year. Android is gaining ground VERY fast. It's the whole you can chose your hardware thing that makes it so appealing. This is just like the PC vs. Mac argument all over again.

Only thing I wish I waited for was the LTE phones. So no 4G for me for a while.

What's this every 2 plan you mentioned?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

the new every two.

every two years you can upgrade at a discounted price. Verizon is getting rid of that, with rumors of a new program starting.

if you goto verizonwireless.com you can see how long till you can upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2 View Post
    Has anyone used both iphone and droid phones for extended time? which do you prefer?
    I have used an iPhone for a number of years. Now am using a Droid2. As far as Android vs. iOS. I am afraid iOS has won the game already. Android is simply too fragmented and too difficult to learn. The consistency, simplicity and general cleanness that mac has always excelled at will win the day here.

That said. I use the phone primarily for voice, emails and texting. I prefer the keyboard of the Droid2 vs. the screen based input of the iPhone. If I want to use an App I reach for my beloved iPad.

Quote Originally Posted by admedia View Post
    I am afraid iOS has won the game already.
    Agreed. From the 'app' standpoint this is probably more than true. It seemed from the showings at CES this year that most of the non iOS participants were touting more HTML5 content to be viewed on their respective devices rather than natively developed apps. That being said it looks like other tablet/smartphone makers have finally pulled their heads out of the sand and they've realized that game is over too. As more content providers build more non-native content, the scales will tilt back the other way, though. Apple will continue to be the head and shoulders leader in native app content, but that same content should be more and more available to non iOS users through HTML5.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

I would wait for the dualCore bionic from Motorola that will be available on Verizon.

Oh I knew about the every 2 year upgrade thing. Didn't realize a new plan was coming- which I am glad for as 2 years in the cell world is way to long to be locked into a contract.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

i'm not sure whats going to come in place of it, but i wouldn't expect to be getting anything better. hoping to upgrade every year seems a little far fetched.

buying a cell phone is one of the hardest things to buy. no matter what you do you are almost instantly behind the wave, and the initial purchase is normally so much cheaper, if you **** up you are screwed.

iPhone 4 is a glorious device plus you can play Infinity Blade and use Word Lens. I'm waiting until I get to Germany however before I make a decision. Depending the provider and price I may get an android device. Apple did a great job bricking older iPhones with IOS4 and I'm kinda burnt by that.

The amortized markdown on iPhones on a 2 year plan with ATT is about $450 right now (the amount that ATT & Apple subsidize the phone to lock you into a monthly rate plan) -- I can't imagine that Verizon's margin will be much different, so don't be shocked to continue with the 2 year deal.

From my understanding, the 'changes' to the Verizon plan will revolve around the type of data plans available. Right now, some of the older, original iPhone plans thru ATT provide for unlimited data for a set $ amount.

I think Verizon is in the process of determining whether they will try to lure ATT customer by matching the unlimited plan -- if they do, it will most certainly wreak havoc on their network in the same way that it has ATT's.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 01-13-2011 at 10:27 PM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Love how the Verizon version of the iPhone can't do data and a voice call at the same time. Not a big fan of CDMA.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by mehmet22 View Post
    I would wait for the dualCore bionic from Motorola that will be available on Verizon.
    That or the Thunderbolt, why would anyone get an iPhone when a month or two away is 4G, way slicker phones...
    You can always just sign up for a one year contract(which I did) you pay a little more for the phone, but you get the option to upgrade again in a year and you obviously have more flexibility to switch plans/carriers if you want.

Interesting view on the iPhone coming to Verizon.
    The dropped phone calls, the frequent network crashes and so on — were not entirely AT&T’s fault. His Apple sources, he wrote, confirmed to him that “the software running the iPhone’s main radio, known as baseband, was full of bugs and contributed to the much-decried dropped calls.”
    Last edited by ChaseNYC; 01-15-2011 at 04:51 PM.
    mmm signature