A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What are you reading/learning?

What are you reading/learning?

I just finished the Flash Builder 4 Bible and study a bit HTML5. Don't know why it's called "Bible", since I couldn't find anything religious.
    Last edited by cancerinform; 01-15-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

Not really reading any books atm. Constantly learned new stuff for work like Git, ANT, android dev. etc. This is probably my last Flash Builder project since I'm switching to FDT full stop afterwards.

I'm also attending Full Sail University's online Game Art degree program which is very intense but fun and the primary reason I'm not reading any books.

Chasm City - Alastair Reynolds
    + obligatory Science Journals

Romance of the three kingdoms. learning the art of war... ...but i don't think i will have any chance to use it.
    Probably the best web hosting Company in Singapore
    Make A Name On The Web™

I'm reading Union Platform documentation and translating it into Russian

Currently reading Yevgeny Zamyatin's "We"
    and also started reading "The Facebook Effect"
    in the queue

I'm not learning anything technical at the moment, but I'm building my first resin garage kit
    my blog: blog.innocuo
    Sponsored by your mom.

i finished the 4 a song of fire and ice books that are out, i also finished off all the temeraire books released. and as of now nothing.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

I'm constantly trying to re-invent my playing style on the ztar. Adding four fingers and a thumb really changes things up for me. The only guy doing how to play a ztar is me.

It's nice to see everybody reading books actually. I prefer paper over screen.

Frets, did you get a new guitar on your birthday?

Jaquan, what do you learn in the Game Art degree program and what is the advantage of FDT over using the Flashbuilder?
    - The right of the People to create Flash movies shall not be infringed. -

I've stopped buying guitars. Before I got My ztar I played every one of my guitars (all 12) at least twice a week. Now months go by before I pick one up let alone play it.

I tried a yrg because of the range. It was an absolute disaster of an instrument. The thing doesn't even rate as a toy.

If I ever buy another instrument it will be a mini 12 custom built to my specs and will prolly run over four grand. I want as many knobs, buttons and joystics they can put on it not the stripped mini 12 they advertise

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Learning lots...not necessarily work related.

Reading "4-hour workweek" more for the goal setting and time-saving ideas and less for the business management solutions.

Next on the reading list is "Goodnight Mr. Rosewater" a Vonnegut book I haven't read yet. NICE!

I'm still including learning the acoustic guitar in my goals and have found a ton of good sites out there with basic lessons...just need to make time for it.
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Reading 'The Lost City of Z' at the moment. Cool book.

I stopped reading to learn. I know everything now as it is so what's the point .

Quote Originally Posted by cancerinform View Post
    Jaquan, what do you learn in the Game Art degree program and what is the advantage of FDT over using the Flashbuilder?
    Game Art teaches you how to produce 3D for video games. You learn how to model legal geometry, build animation rigs, use lighting properly, texture models and produce a demo reel. I'm not new to 3d but this program is teaching me things I wouldn't have known to teach myself.

FDT is just an all around faster coding environment. There's little things like keeping the import block collapsed, medium things like generating event handlers, classes and interfaces and big things like .swc peeking, font library creation and multi-screen publishing (with plug-in's).
    Flash Builders one advantage is that it removed 90% of the options from the preferences making it much easier to set up and publish a new Air project. But once you get comfortable doing that in FDT, its not an issue.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Just finished reading "Jumping off the planet" by David Gerrold, second book I read by him, first one was the Flying Sorcerer, I really like his style

Quote Originally Posted by flashpipe1 View Post
    Learning lots...not necessarily work related.

I'm still including learning the acoustic guitar in my goals and have found a ton of good sites out there with basic lessons...just need to make time for it.
    If you haven't made time for it then you might want to pursue other things. Playing a musical instrument requires many tedious hours or repetitive motion.
    Play a scale, okay now play it again more slowly, okay now play it again even more slowly. Play it as slow as humanly possible to develop accuracy. When you can play the scale ten times in a row at that tempo. Move the tempo up just a little. Now play it ten times again continuously.
    All the learning sites won't do a beginner any good if the person hasn't developed the proper motor skills. Six months with a good teacher who will lock you down into a regiment where every week you have something to study specifically will do more for playing then 10 years of watching videos and looking at tabs. After you get six months of chords, rhythm patterns and scales then look for online content.

way to burst his bubble frets. You'd make a great teacher/motivator

play when you feel like it man. You may not become the next SRV, but if you have fun, who cares, right?!

haha...thanks for the tips frets, but I'm just looking to learn a few songs to get by so I can sing and play some stuff for the kids to get them motivated to learn some music and learn how to really play.

If I really like it, I will definitely take some lessons and pursue my musical career, but I'm just looking to do it to impress the kids and pick up women...not to join a band. Although, frets, you do make it sound like lots of fun...lol...
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

One word... tablature. I still can't read music but learned quite a few songs just messing with tab.

I'm just worried that you'll turn into one of those songsmith guys. I wouldn't wish that on any parent or child.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzxdD...eature=related

Friends don't let friends songsmith

Thanks Frets. Some scary stuff there, but really...I just want to dance...in my brand new pants.