A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Platform management

Platform management

We’ve got an issue at work, and we’re not sure what to do.

We run a web platform. We have about 18 different organisations using the platform. There is no difference in code between the organisations.

At the moment, the code lives on my computer and I upload it to all 18 organisations when there’s an update. Obviously this is a pain in the freaking arse.

Also, we are expanding and other people will be writing code as well as me.

So we need a solution to solve two problems:

1. How to update the organisations faster

2. How to keep one codebase that everybody can share

The first idea for problem #1 was to use rsync to mirror a master copy, but this obviously requires the code to be on a web server. But if it’s on a web server, it’s a little difficult to edit and so that doesn’t help problem #2.

The obvious solution to problem #2 is to use github (or subversion). I have no personal experience with these and can’t work out if it’s just hot air or whether it really is useful – all I know is that almost everything I try and download now comes from github.

So, thoughts?

For #2, IMHO to work effectively in a shared development environment you absolutely have to use some form of SVN. I'm currently not working in an effective development environment and the number of code overwrites is ridiculous. Once you're used to the SVN system then it's just second nature.

For #1, dunno, maybe create some sort of batch automator with a config that you can just update as and when you add new clients.

Cheers,
    Rob

SVN sounds about the best thing, we use it in work alot.

Do you guys use subversion or git?

Hi slinky!!!

Network Guy
    Choosing between cvs (unlikely), svn (likely first step for most companies, has downfalls for large organizations), git (probably second choice), hg (probably should be considered if you're considering git), perforce(probably unlikely unless you're a big established company already owning a p4 license) is a cost/benefits calculation for your organization, and depends on size, experience, and code tendencies. If you're a single author modifying the code, then svn is probably the easiest choice. If you have multiple branches within your organization, then a distributed solution (git, hg) is probably better.

The key to getting things working the way you expect is using on-commit hooks on your code management tool of choice. It's very easy to have a commit to /trunk update a staging server, and then have a commit to another path in the repo run a script that pushes an update to all servers (using whatever programming languages are used in your organization). Its not hard, all of the options will support the hooks you need to make automatic code deployment easy and safe.

If your not using a mac, I would advise against git. You can set it up on a PC, it's just a pain in the arse. You might check out http://www.assembla.com/