A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: 509 compliance

509 compliance

Hi all,

I am presently doing an e-learning course and my lead has asked me to check if the colors used are 509 compliant. I checked google but the searches turn up nothing to the point.

Can anyone please help me with where i can find documentation or some info on 509 compliant color usage.

thanks so much in advance.

Your lead may be talking about a type of printer.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Hmmm...are you sure they didn't mean 508 compliant? 508 deals with compliance for disabilities, including hearing/sight impaired users, and color blindness.

It basically means (for color) that you can't make a site that uses color as the primary identifier for something (imagine "seeing" your design on a black and white monitor). Doesn't mean you can't use color, just means you have to think about how it will be viewed by color blind users and use labels to identify elements, not just colors.

If they really meant 509, you may want to go ask them what they mean, because I've never heard of that before relating to web standards/e-learning and I've been doing this since 1996.
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

thankyou Flashpipe1, you are absolutely right. It is 508 compliance that me and my lead mistook for 509. It was a course i had designed which had a dominant green background. The US client wanted to check, so, i eventually changed it to a subtle blue.

thanks so much