A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Browser reading FLV progress in flash

Browser reading FLV progress in flash

Hi. I would need some help on one of my flash project. There are 3 flv movie in my flash page. Is there a way to indicate in my flash page if the flv movie is already viewed on user's browser? I need to put a mark on the movie if one of them is already viewed? Am I to use Shared Object? Thank you very much for your time.

How are the flash movies being displayed? I'm assuming that they're wrapped in some sort of video player. In that case, it would depend on the details of the player.

Thank you for your reply. Actually I have this flash movie, and I imported 3 FLV videos, The setting I placed is progressive downloading so the FLV files are not embedded on SWF.

http://demo.cpscreative.com/metlife/

What I need is some indication on each flv movie (like a check or something) if the video has already been viewed in user's browser. Is Shared Object the solution for that to communicate externally thru browsers?

If you want to communicate with the browser through an embedded flash movei in the same page..

you can use ExternalInterface() to declare a function either inside of flash that can be called by an HTML link (for example)... or a function in the HTML page (js perhaps) that can be called by the flash movie..

this basically allows for two way communication from the flash to the container page.

I would think.. if you want to use a SHARED OBJECT (which is like a FLASH cookie)..

the flash movie can set a var if the movie has been viewed or not..

HOWEVER... every time a page loads or you want to check this shared object you need to have a FLASH movie read/check for it..

Ok thank you very much. Will try this out and give some feedback.