A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: A Programmer's Demo Reel?

A Programmer's Demo Reel?

I'm a flash programmer about to graduate from the Art Institute of Pittsburgh, and I'm putting together my final portfolio. The issue is, I was the programmer on all the games, not the artist, but I need all sorts of visual elements to my portfolio, such as DVD cover, demo reel, and website. I'm worried that if I wall paper someone else's art all over my portfolio, all it will do is advertise the wrong thing.

How can I convey programing skills in a visual set up? Does anyone know any successful programmers with websites I could reference as well?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Interesting question...

Obviously link to the games you coded is good thing. Then people could hopefully play it and decide if its coded well. DVD cover with pretty picture has less meaning.

Maybe you could try to write about specific coding problems you solved in each game. For example, "in this 3D shooter I coded the whole 3D engine which is not only much faster then other engines but it also looks better". Or "the racing game has opponent cars driven through AI inspired by society and hierarchy of ants which means they always adapt to your skills".

I agree. I'm just unfamiliar with what employers look for in programmers, and the best way to display it. I went to Art school and ended up a self taught programmer, so I'm used to pitching myself to very visually driven, artistic people.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    I was in a similar situation as you. I graduated from Art Institute of Los Angeles in 2006. I majored in Animation but did a Flash game as my final project.

I didn't have a reel until after I was working for a year but here's my first reel. http://vimeo.com/186045 . Think of the reel as a way to highlight the best parts of your game, because it's most likely that the person looking to hire you won't even play your games completely.

I think you're good if you just explicity state that you're the "programmer". In your portfolio you can highlight the problems that you faced and how you coded solutions. Mainly when people are looking to hire programmers, they want to understand their problem solving abiltiies and thought process.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Part of your skillset is being able to work with visual assets. As long as you are selling yourself as the programmer it doesnt matter. Everyone important that looks at your portfolio is going to know this, or they are free to ask. If in any doubt, just add credits to your portfolio, stating your role explicitly, and naming those you worked with. It will also sell your skills as a team player. If you want a reference for this, check my signature.