A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Successful game released - now what?

Successful game released - now what?

I released an unsponsored game and it got a couple million plays it a week. I'm making money off of it by advertising another product of mine. So I want to get as many plays as possible. So far, I got the game on Newgrounds, Kongregate, Armorgames, and many medium sized to smaller sites.

I'm a bit lost as to what I should do next. This is my first Flash game, and I don't personally play enough Flash games to be super familiar with the ins and outs of the market. I've been getting lots of requests to do branded site-locks, API integrations, and translations of the game. However, most of these seem like they'll take more time than they're worth. Sure, I'm willing to spend an hour and swap logos around, but integrating an API is going to be a real pain. If I have a game that did over 2,000,000 plays in a week, how much money should I be able to make for doing these menial tasks?

I've been thinking about hiring someone else to do it for me, but sharing my code scares the hell out of me considering the amount of Flash game theft that happens (and if it does get stolen, potential for sequels could be lessened). Also, my game is built with a combo of Flash Builder and Flash Professional, which I imagine will make it harder to find someone competent enough to do the required changes.

I have also been wondering if there are potential sources of plays that I have been missing. For example, is it worth it to integrate something like the Mochi API so that I can get listed on their site? Or is it worth it to integrate the Kongregate API - would that generate new traffic? Any other obvious ways that I don't know about?

I'd appreciate if some experienced devs could give me some advice. Thanks!

I'm not really into marketing but as for someone stealing your code, my understanding is it's pretty easy to decompile it generally. Out of curiosity what game is it that you've made? Personally I've moved over to developing in haxe. I personally visit kongregate as well.

Pick an API and implement it. Then you will have that experience under your belt and know whether it's worth your time or not. (How long can it really take to add a few calls here and there??)

If $2000 requires 4 hours work, that's still $500 per hour.

I prefer mochi api. And it dosen't take a lot of time. Put it on mochi and there will be lot of sites embeding your game.

If $2000 requires 4 hours work, that's still $500 per hour.
    If I could make $2000 for implementing an API, I would. Where would this $2000 come from?

I prefer mochi api. And it dosen't take a lot of time. Put it on mochi and there will be lot of sites embeding your game.
    So, the idea with the Mochi api is that many different sites use their leaderboards? So, if I implement the Mochi api, I'll get a bunch of new sites to distribute my game?

Quote Originally Posted by jamesins View Post
    So, the idea with the Mochi api is that many different sites use their leaderboards? So, if I implement the Mochi api, I'll get a bunch of new sites to distribute my game?
    Yes, BUT, since mochi has also became a games portal, many sites don't want games with anything related to mochi at all

look at www.flashgamelicense.com for information regarding the methods of monetizing a flash game

as far as i know, kongregate API will increase the percentage of money that you gain from the ad revenue

for advertising, i suggest use the API either from mochi or CPMstar