A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any iPhone games made with Flash since the dust settled?

Quote Originally Posted by Draxus View Post
    Yeah, I'm aware of that, and I see your point. I suppose it could be done.

I guess when I say "flash game", I really mean "a small, short, 2D game possessing quality and depth on par with an above-average free flash game". I think you'd need a much higher quality, in-depth game than even most great flash games for it to be unidentifiable as a flash game.

I'm also not sure I've seen any $0.99 games on steam (except maybe through sales)... though I'll admit I don't use steam very much. How would the game be packaged? AIR executable? That'd give it away, and sadly more and more people seem to be jumping on the flash-hate bandwagon, even when it's completely unjustified.

alien hominid, castle crashers...

AIR apps can be published as Windows EXE installers now. I'm not sure how many people would really give a crap that it then downloads or installs something called AIR. How is that different than an installer that then installs DirectX or Microsoft .NET framework, or Visual Basic Runtime, or, or, or.... I could go on forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beez View Post
    AIR apps can be published as Windows EXE installers now. I'm not sure how many people would really give a crap that it then downloads or installs something called AIR. How is that different than an installer that then installs DirectX or Microsoft .NET framework, or Visual Basic Runtime, or, or, or.... I could go on forever.
    not to mention most users just care if it works... not what its packaged in...

İ disagree.
    As soon as someone gets used to a smoother more streamlined way he usually gets annoyed by older more cumbersome ways and is not into going back to those anymore.
    İn this case that means on the mobile devices there are some platforms where its one click/tap to buy, download and install something, because as soon as you confirm the purchase it does the download and then auto installs the app. That now is also pushed more and more on desktops, see the mac app store. Anyone who gets used to that usually starts to find it more and more annoying to go through more cunbersome download and install manners.
    When one wants to create a flash standalone app one should make sure it behaves like a proper standalone app on the target platform as much as possible.
    On some target platforms that means deploying a native app, on others one could use a standalone wrapper tool like zinc etc.
    İ published pow pool on the mac app store which was made in flash and then wrapped with a wrapper for example.
    İ would not suggest to anyone to publish things as air file or desktop standalone made from flash ide cause those suck. The air standalone installer is a shame (its a shame it even needs an installer, too) and standalone desktop apps exported directly from flash ide lack the most basic standalone game functionality, like let's say a custom icon or using the mouse button or playing fullscreen and option to switch resolutions etc etc.
    Use a standalone wrapper for such things..

Also: typing long texts on iPad is annoying so i'm out
    Last edited by tomsamson; 07-05-2011 at 03:06 PM.

AIR gives you one-click installation with custom icons, and through script the ability to minimize to system tray, show menu in sys tray, create new windows for prompts, etc. Basically everything you need except screen resolution control.

Tom, You shouldn't give opinions based on cursory experiments with version 1.0. They are up to 2.7 now.

I know Ray =)
    I´ve made stuff with AIR from pre 1.0 up to the latest version, so yeah, i know the pros and cons. Air is meanwhile also not "just" the attempt by Adobe to release flash content on the desktop running on another runtime, but its also what they use to deploy to some of the mobile platforms, so for example when one deploys to playbook using flash/ air one deploys for an air runtime (even despite the thing then being bundled into a .bar file which isn´t way more than a renamed zip anyway).
    I´ve released Pow Pool on playbook using that way.

So yeah, on some platforms with flash there´s no other way than going for air runtime targeted deploy but on desktops, why should one use air?

Yes, one can do the things you talked about, but still the user goes through an installation which by itself is an epic fail and automatically excludes you from being able to deploy to some platforms (like the Mac App Store).
    Then you have that forced install (maybe also with runtime loading, ugly) and don´t even get a lot of options to at least customize the install as you want.
    Besides that, after trying all sorts of air versions i also know that Adobe is not that great with backwards compatibility with it, after installing some newer runtime versions i couldn´t launch apps anymore made targeted at older runtime versions, so that totally blows, as customer of such an app i wouldn´t accept that at all.
    And besides all that, well, Adobe allows you things in the vein of those you talked about when deploying standalone air but they still allow to do way less than one can do with a proper standalone wrapper.
    So yeah..