A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: So whats everyone been up to?

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Hmm interesting so if I registered the Trademark fastazzi today you wouldn't be able to use it anymore?

I would't release the game under that name now, purely because of it seeming like a copy/being sued.
    World Arcade | Facebook | Twitter - Follow MEEEE! or not......

Yeah, sorry bro, i feel your pain on that one =)
    I had similar bummer experiences in the past, it happens to all of us in between i guess, once you´re long enough in this biz and have worked on enough things or pushed enough ideas for other things, well, its likely someone else will do or name or release something similar and then those not knowing yours was first or at least envisioned earlier or independently by you, well, will maybe think you´re the copy cat.

To give one example of things i´ve experienced in that range:
    -many years ago i worked on Monster Trucks, a physics based Monster Truck game where one had to reach a goal in given time, smash many cars, win races or do other kinds of challenges.
    It wasn´t the first physics based trial parcours game by any means but i think it was one of the first if not the first using monster trucks and i think it also had a good bunch of features which made it unique compared to other games in that genre at the time (like the controls, different challenge types, visual presentation style etc etc).
    It wasn´t perfect by any stretch, but yeah, i think it was its own thing and quite popular in its day (still is today =) ).
    It was released on Miniclip.
    Later on, due to various reasons we made an upgraded trucks game and other games for Candystand and Miniclip released Monster Trucks Nitro together with Red Lynx later on.

Well, now after a bunch of years of working on all sorts of other stuff i´m making a Monster Truck game again with a friend (of which you can see some screenshots on my website ( http://www.stimunation.com/ ) and well, i´ve experienced it a few times now that people knowing Monster Trucks Nitro but not our older trucks games then say things like: oh, so you´re making a game like Monster truck Nitro, ok..

Not a big problem to me since i think ours will still be different and fresh in its own way and its also a side project i´m doing for fun, not something i get ultra enraged about, but yeah, feels a bit weird =)

In general me personally i have the stance that we creative people who create.. stuff, well, we all get inpsired by other stuff and we all build onto other existing older stuff, and we have to, that´s a big part of evolution. So i´m totally cool with anything inspired from stuff i make or derived from it as long as its not just a 1:1 copy where someone changed the name; as long as it has enough own unique touches its cool.

That´s also how i look at it regarding patents, trademark laws etc, you´re in bad spot when you use the same name as another product (so, yeah, in your case i feel your pain but in front of law you´re in bad spot =( ) but yeah, i also see the need for people building upon other concepts and innovating that way and i find things like Apple´s most recent lawsuit against Samsung for creating too similar devices ridiculous.
    Sadly, yes, they are in good spot in front of law because the current system allows for such abnormalities where a company can protect the shape and size of a device like a tablet so much that others then may not be able to release devices too much in the same form factor for example..
    Also sad: Apple is of course not the only one at all doing such nonsense, many other major players are constantly in lawsuits over similar things..

I much prefer the approach of let´s say Naughty Dog who also innovate a lot but also improve upon exisiting concepts and then in return don´t act like all others would just be their copycats, the contrary, they often share their concepts and ways to implement things =)

Anyway.. =)

To sum it up: best rename your thing to avoid the "you copycat" talk from those not in the know and well, as long as your thing stands out in its own ways it´ll hopefully find its own fan base =)
    Last edited by tomsamson; 09-19-2011 at 09:01 AM.

Thanks for the reply tomsamson! I know what you mean. If I release it even with Jetpack in the name now I think that it will be seen like a copy cat game. So I'm going to try avoid that. I'm sure ill come up with something.

I got over my sulking over the name. I think I just want to finish the game now.

I got a bit of advice from a friend to maybe release an early beta on android for free to sort of inspire me to finish it properly and get some feedback for it too. On things to add/remove/change. I'll let you guys know if I do that so anyone with an android device can test it out. I'm aiming to have a beta in about a month. That's all pending client work though. But the next month looks kinda free. I'll see.

Thanks again for your opinion man. Always helps.

The mouse-shaped Collective Dr

Unhappy

Struggling with Jquery and IE7 compatibility. Why is it that there is always one person who hasn't upgraded their computer in the past 10 years.

you're welcome hooly and yeah, looking forward to your demo =)

Oh, forgot to mention it, but another thing I've been up to is I finally got a track signed to a record label! :O

If you guys like some electro, here's the track that got signed:
    http://soundcloud.com/psvils/symphomaniac-original-mix

Sounds a bit amateurish, I was a bit surprised that someone actually wanted to sign it o.O
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Pazil View Post
    Oh, forgot to mention it, but another thing I've been up to is I finally got a track signed to a record label! :O

If you guys like some electro, here's the track that got signed:
    http://soundcloud.com/psvils/symphomaniac-original-mix

Sounds a bit amateurish, I was a bit surprised that someone actually wanted to sign it o.O
    That's awesome, congrats! I just checked it out, sounds great.

Yeah, not the type of music i listen to during work usually but still listened to it twice in a row, builds up to something pretty dope =)

Just read this morning on gamasutra that UE3 will export to the new flash too? Would any of you be more inclined to work with that over Unity now?

I wouldn´t trash it without giving it a try but yeah, there are a lot of things i'm not sure about yet regarding that like what licensing models they will offer at the end or how well it will work on lower end machines, how well it will work together with the flash api, not just the player and then there are other points which are maybe more personal preference like which coding languages ones prefers etc.

Yeah. Didn't they just come out with a new licence. Totally free, until you make 50k from it? Don't quote me on that though. I just remember reading it somewhere not long ago.

The new flash player will only support newer graphics cards and its software rendering is killer slow. So not sure how many people will be able to play 3d games in flash anyway.

I think I prefer the UE3 over unity workflow and interface even though I've been using unity more often over the past year, mainly because I wanted to export to iOS and the UE3 hadn't released for iOS yet.
    "I layed down in my bed last night looked up at the stars, and thought to myself... Where the F*#K is my roof"

There are several licensing options for Unreal like there are for Unity.
    For Unity one can get the indie version for free and can buy the pro version as well as licenses for deploying to mobile platforms and consoles and then does not have to pay any revenue share to Unity Technologies, no matter how much money a game one makes brings in.
    For Unreal there´s Unreal proper which is the big version which costs a lot of money next to a quite high share per title and then there´s udk which is the trimmed down smaller version which can be gotten for free initially but then you have to pay a certain share of your returns if you pass a certain income limit (so that´s what you were talking about).

Let´s see which of their licensing models supports what release options at which revenue share percentages or other costs.

And yeah, its probably personal preference whether one likes the editor options and coding languages supported in one package more than what´s there on those ends in the other.

I like the languages supported more in unity right now, regarding editor features unreal has more shiny bling bling than unity on several ends there right now but then out of the box unreal is also way more tailored for making fps games in certain look than any other game type whereas unity doesn´t come with lots of fps specific stuff out of the box but is out of the box also a more general purpose/ game type engine also for all sorts of art types rather than being focussed so much on making fps games.
    Sure both could be used for any other kind of game with enough own effort put into it as many games of all sorts of looks and genres and looks made in both show quite well, just talking about my experiences for what they are more ideal and focussed on out of the box.

In either case, yeah, for developers the more in options and competition there on the middleware front is a good thing on many sides so i welcome that =)

Happy new years everyone!
    WIP-ZOMBIES

I love vegetarians! More meat for the rest of us!

2KHeroes / Sylvaniah designer luxregina's Avatar
    Flashkit wrote to me for my birthday! so I decided to check the place out...I think this is the place where my account is the oldest...18 years!!! Wow...
    So ... what's everyone been up to?

I have no idea why it has happened so. But sounds a little amazing.

@luxregina almost 17 here. but I have older accounts, just not using them
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

I came back to this forum because I'm getting really desperate now :P actually it's quite sad and serious. I might make another topic in the appropriate forum, but basically I'm struggling to convert (or even build from the ground up) my old projects into HTML5. It's pretty annoying how all these ads or posts on media keep popping up that flash is going away, or people spouting their hate and that flash player should die... yeah it doesn't help that Adobe failed to create a proper tool that converts AS2 to JS or whatever has to be done. Heck some of my AS3 projects didn't even property convert when I did the process on Adobe Animate. You'd think that for a company that invented AS (or at least acquired it from Macromedia) they'd have all the know-how in making a simple converter... AS2 does this, the equivalent in JS is that... why is this so hard?

At the very least, the animated bits of my AS2 site were perfectly converted by simply opening up the fla file in adobe animate... it's just that all the code disappeared :P does HTML5 even need a preloader in the way a flash file would?

Happy new year 2023 to everyone, I'm still alive.