A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: FireFox 4

FireFox 4

Who's got it? What do you think of it?

The UI has definitely been overhauled. It's all still there but in different locations but I think it'll be easy to get used to. It's a small thing but I like how the open new tab is on top of a right click now. Small I know but still nice.

thoughts.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

ctrl+t that's all i know how to get a new tab.

At first i hated it. Basically for the same reasons why i hate using google chrome. Tabs at the top of the page just don't jive with what i'm used to, but it's been OK so far. Seems a bit more stable? Don't know though.

It's still a RAM hog though. I have FB open and that's it...196,964k..damn.

Chrome: 35,000K

I read a study about the location of the tabs in chrome and all the iterations they went through. They concluded top was the lesser of the evils. Google knows UX.
    I really only use FF for firebug, which still beats the pants off of google's, safari's or IE's dev tools. Sadly I can't upgrade to 4 since it would be an inaccurate test bed. They changed too much in how javascript is run.

It seriously doesn’t feel finished. Look what happens if you have “Always show tabs” off:

Chrome and Safari still rule here, I never really liked Firefox 3 to be honest.

I have no facination with FF or Chrome. I have a fast computer. The program opening a split second faster doesn't impress me. I don't do web design so I don't care how the rest of the world sees the internet.

I don't like the new ie. I don't care that it has a recovery feature I do care that it crashes in the first place. I never had crashing issues with the last incarnation of ie.
    I use ie because it's familar to me and works. When it doesn't work then I use FF or chrome.

I'm the opposite of you, Frets.

I like the new IE (shock, horror) and FireFox 4 looks/acts better on Win7 than OS X, but I still like it. Chrome just isn't there yet for me - but it's becoming an app that I use more and more.

Mobile FireFox 4 though... that's a disaster story there.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Can't really wrap my head around "I use IE because it's familiar to me and works." Kinda like saying I use samsung phones because they put there numbers in a 3x3 grid. Um; back, forward, home, address bar. Browsers don't really differ much in terms of UI.

I work in IE. There are things that IE does better then FF including certain javascript functions that I constantly use.

The previous incarnation of IE never crashed on me. The new one does but it recovers. I'd rather have it not crash then it go through the recovery process.

Safari 5 anyone ?

Since we still need a plugin or if scenarios to leverage HTML5 accross all browsers I'll give a couple of months to it to mature for addons/extensions to be really there.

HTML5 raise a lot of security issues as well. (Offline Storage + Workers + WebSocket = wet dream)

Soon we wont need client and plugins anymore. It will come fast and at full pace. Be ready and do your homework.
    I ask you all to concentrate really hard on the freedom of all being. Its hard not to be very angry it is impossible We have to focus this confusion frustration helplessness feeling into a creative outlet Anger can spawn such amazing creativity through Street art Free art to teach each other know each other a language our evolution Go ahead and break some dumb rules

It will be a while before HTML5's background features are standard fare. i-devices are the sole argument to choose it over flash, albeit a good one, the speed isn't there, the features aren't there and they can't possibly grow as fast as the flash player has in terms of uses. This is true for CDN's, statistics, security and options.

Sure I'll be putting out an HTML5 game but I see the android market share forcing apple to make some tough decisions with ios.

As far as good render's, webkit based browsers are a clear winner despite IE9's speedy canvas.
    When it comes to safari vs. chrome, google just offers more. synced bookmarks, intelligent contextual menu's, better CPU management, seamless updates and now apps.