A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Making using multiple movie clips

Post Making masks using multiple movie clips

I'm working on a project where in I've found it necessary to mask a background object with MULTIPLE Sprites. I've tried doing this two ways: making one "parent" sprite to which all of the other masks are childed; adding them as individual masks.

The composite strategy just sort of gave up, Flash doesn't seem to like having to search through it's render tree to do these things and the result was no visible mask or masking (just the full background image). The latter strategy failed for obvious reasons: saying Sprite.mask = so-and-so implies that setting it again will overwrite the last mask.

Is there any way to use the composite strategy? Or is there a way I can copy over all of my sprites and draw them directly into one new sprite on every frame?

thanks,

-Sandy
    Last edited by BlueGeek; 04-04-2011 at 10:08 AM. Reason: title was missing a word
    "...there were only two good books in the hotel gift shop and I had written both of them."
    -Douglas Adams

i remember doing this a while back with 2 backgrounds trying to make grass "flow" as well as with a particle engine.

irrc I made the masks the parent and the sprite the child....

Not entirely sure I understand what you mean. Sorry, I've been ass deep in code for about 2 weeks and I'm mildly burned out. Any chance you could elaborate slightly?
    "...there were only two good books in the hotel gift shop and I had written both of them."
    -Douglas Adams

This might help...
    Attached Files Attached Files